EQstim

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Used EQstim on a couple of heifers to get rid of warts, administered by my vet. Read the label just now online, didn't find much.

Here's the question

Will it affect the breeding/fertility of the two heifers we gave shots to, and if so, how long should I wait?

Thanks in advance
Justin

Justin - never heard of it and I'm not familiar with how they described it to give you an answer.
I would guess it will have no affect on breeding. But, you might call the vets office and have staff find out.

I think the stuff you are talking about is used in horses to inject around the base of sarcoids to stimulate a foreign inflammatory response. My memory is getting a bit sketchy here but I think TB Tuberculin was used before a more specific product was formulated. I wouldn't suspect that there would be any adverse effect on reproduction.

Ken

Thank you both. Ken, the vet said the same thing, should be no effect. We've just had a hard time this breeding season on AI and the frustration has me hard on the investigation trail.

Is your area Selenium deficient? Most of USA is. Do you feed a good mineral with SE in it? Do you give a shot of Multimin90 or BoSe? Low SE is a major problem with low conception rates.
Do you use a Modified Live Vaccine just prior to breeding (within 30 days)?
What Body Condition Score are your cows/heifers? http://factsheets.okstate.edu/documents/ansi-3283-body-condition-scoring-of-beef-cows/
Quality AI technician? Quality semen?
These are the common problems.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Is your area Selenium deficient? Most of USA is. Do you feed a good mineral with SE in it? Do you give a shot of Multimin90 or BoSe? Low SE is a major problem with low conception rates.
Do you use a Modified Live Vaccine just prior to breeding (within 30 days)?
What Body Condition Score are your cows/heifers? http://factsheets.okstate.edu/documents/ansi-3283-body-condition-scoring-of-beef-cows/
Quality AI technician? Quality semen?
These are the common problems.
BCS, High quality mineral w/SE, tech, semen, everything same as always with our herd. They are well taken care of and then some

Over-conditioned?? too fat?? LOL I actually have never seen one too fat to get bred. It would have to be some super obese cow!
Have you had a lot of rain? could the grasses have been poor nutritionally? Even if they are in good BCS, maybe lack of high quality feed??
I know it is frustrating when AI is failing. Been there, done that!