Epsom Salt

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Does anyone know if adding epsom salt to the cattle mineral is a good thing to help prevent grass tetany?

Magnesium (Mg), not less than 5.0% Magnesium (Mg), not less than 10.0%

My mineral is the one on the left. I can't get the hi mag on the right.

Looking at a box of epsom salt it says 10% Magnesium and 13% sulfur.

Never tried but i have sprayed pasture with it to bring up magnesium quickly. I have however had good results feeding powdered dolomite in the cows feed. The extra calcium doesn't go astray either.

kenny thomas said:
A 50# bag of 56% mag oxide is around $40. Mix as you desire.

How much of that might I add to 50# of my regular mineral before it effects palatablity?

HDRider said:
kenny thomas said:

How much of that might I add to 50# of my regular mineral before it effects palatablity?
It's been a while since I done it but I used some ddg to calm down the bitter taste. Can't remember the mix. It just made more sense to me to buy 14% high mag mineral for the short time each year that I use it.

kenny thomas said:
HDRider said:
kenny thomas said:

It's been a while since I done it but I used some ddg to calm down the bitter taste. Can't remember the mix. It just made more sense to me to buy 14% high mag mineral for the short time each year that I use it.

Not being a cattle area makes getting stuff hard when those that do carry stuff are more concerned with not getting stuck with inventory that does not turn over.

Magnesium oxide may be cheap, but oxides have poor bioavailability, Epsom salt, Magnesium sulfate is much more bioavailable

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. We can absorb a small amount of this through our skin. (Not a lot), but it does have a mild anti-inflammatory effect. This means that joints and muscles that are stiff can experience some minor pain relief from the anti-inflammatory nature.

However, the heat of the water is just as beneficial, and you'd get better results with having a 'purpose-made' anti-inflammatory.

But if you can't have the anti-inflammatory for whatever reason (pregnant/medication or whatever), it can provide a little additional relief.

However, the amount is quite small. It'd be like comparing 2 identical pains. Having 2 nearly identical baths. Heat/volume etc. The only thing different is Epsom salt. You might rate the non-epsom salt as reducing pain by 50% and the Epsom salt bath as a 55% reduction.

It also may be purely psychosomatic. However, the uptake in magnesium sulfate has been proven (in very small quantities), and the effects of this have been proven. So it's got a smidge of truth to it.

As for drawing out the toxins? No. Don't go there. This is a new-age-hippy-medicine FUD. (In my personal opinion)

kenny thomas said:
HDRider said:
kenny thomas said:

10 lbs. of Magox mixed into one bag of mineral would bring it up to about 10% mag. Check with your feed store and see if they can get a bag of it from their mill. Should be around $25 for 50 lbs.

Latest posts