Epic

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
So we flushed to him prior to the NH fiasco. Calves are coming now. These embryos are PB. So far, only heifers. Most Epics that'll arrive later are terminal.

On the PB side of things, would you test them prior to sending them in for registration? And is that even possible? Forgive my ignorance. At a $50 semen certificate, another $37 for genomics, and the additional testing for the NH, I'd rather test for NH first.

Wondering if that's even do-able or if I'd have to register and then test?

We had an epic bull calf this fall. You can test just for NH (they give you an identification number instead of reg. #). That is what we did. No reason to spend all that money if the calf is a carrier. I would just call AAA and tell them you want to test just for NH and they will walk you through what you need to do.

The genetic bundle testing from AAA I think is only $55 and it tests for all known recessives. We test every animal we have offered no matter if the sire and dam are free of them "on paper". Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't throw away the animals if I didn't have to, and would test them just to find out for sure.

You can do the defect test before registration. I believe it's $18

*************":29iokp41 said:
The genetic bundle testing from AAA I think is only $55 and it tests for all known recessives. We test every animal we have offered no matter if the sire and dam are free of them "on paper". Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't throw away the animals if I didn't have to, and would test them just to find out for sure.

Our donor is free of any defects. If one of the embryos was a bull, he'd be unable to be registered (if carrier) but in saying that, if one of our heifers was a carrier, we would make it terminal also.

I'd rather start with the NH testing. Absolutely no sense in throwing more money at something that'll end up in the fat pen. We test for anything that comes back as a possible carrier to free it of it. Spring 18 gave us 3 bull calves. 2 of which were cut. We cull hard here.

Even if they came back clean, we usually wait to see if they're worth keeping.

Latest posts