EPIC hay tarp FAIL!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
Uncovered my hay stack last night and discovered that the tarp had apparently not shed a drop of water since I put it on. 1/3 to 1/2 of the bales are ruined or mostly ruined. Mold and stuff growing everywhere. The monetary loss sucks but I've actually got plenty of hay at another farm. My biggest concern is disposal. I don't have a good spot to dump it. I'm thinking about feeding it in rings in the brush and letting the cows eat what they want. Good, bad, or ugly for cows? I've fed some bad stuff before but that doesn't make it smart. Thanks

I can;t imagine a place in the ozarks that doesn;t have a chunk of woods with at least one deep gully(holler) in it.

I had 4X8 sheets of pressed board over the openings and the entire stack on a slope so it would run off like a shed roof. Tarp was dang tight too. I've done it this way for several years with success. This is probably the third year for that tarp, not sure if that was the issue or what

I once tarped a trailer load of square bales while waiting for a customer to pick them up. Sun cooked enough moisture out to mold the hay.

Rain forest would be pretty accurate.

Would anybody attempt to feed this or find a spot to dispose? Some bales are maybe only half ruined so I thought I could salvage a bit but don't want to sacrifice herd health.

I would dump it where the cows can;t reach it and just let it rot down

Got a box manure spreader? The chain type might not work to well but the push gate ones work good for spreading bales

I would be afraid to feed that hay. looks like some funky looking stuff on it. I would do what Dun said.

I thought about piling it in with a big brush pile and trying to burn it. What a pain in the rear. I'll end up carrying it over the hill out of sight of the house and let it rot I'm sure.

Thanks

DON'T feed it to pregnant cows (can cause abortions), but wait until they're eating green grass and put a bale out once in a while.. when they're on fresh grass it seems like they love old rotten hay.. If you have a creep area for the calve spread a bale or two out in there, leave one there for them to push and have fun with.

You can at least do that with the better bales.. the rest of them I'd tear apart and if possible mix with cow manure to compost

J&D Cattle":165pzogf said:
I thought about piling it in with a big brush pile and trying to burn it. What a pain in the rear. I'll end up carrying it over the hill out of sight of the house and let it rot I'm sure.

Thanks
It won;t burn. It will just smolder for days. Even soaking it with diesel doesn;t help all that much.
It sounds like rather then an epic fail it was an epic success, just the reverse of what you wanted it to do.

dun":avayq6nk said:
J&D Cattle":avayq6nk said:

Thanks
It won;t burn. It will just smolder for days. Even soaking it with diesel doesn;t help all that much.
It sounds like rather then an epic fail it was an epic success, just the reverse of what you wanted it to do.

Well heck Dun, I will say your quote got a chuckle out of me. I needed that. :lol2:

Rent or borrow a bale processor or shredder. Some of the better ones will shred it to pieces and spread it very well. Put it back on your pastures or hayfield to build up organic matter and you will also receive some fertilizer value.