EPDs????

Help Support CattleToday:

ronay0

Reaction score
Could anyone explain what are EPDs, How do you get the BW,WW,YM, MA what does these letters and numbers mean to a person.
:?:
For example,
Here are the "EPDs"(?) for :
JDH Mr. Osborne Manso 807/3
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
BW-.6/ WW-14.5/ YM-26.1/ MA-12.9
JD Charleton Manso 330/6
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
BW-1.0/ WW-16.3/ YM-28.8/ MA-8.5
SNS Miss Veronica 152/2(Of crs Reg. Brahma heifer)
EPD's- BW-3.7/ WW-15.5/ YM-20.0/ Milk 10.6 (Calved 9/8/02) :roll:
Your comments and answers are appreciated.
Thanks

ronay0":1bge3clo said:
Could anyone explain what are EPDs, How do you get the BW,WW,YM, MA what does these letters and numbers mean to a person.
For example,
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
JD Charleton Manso 330/6
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
Thanks

BW EPD -.6 His calves are expected to be .6 of a lb less than breed avg.
WW EPD -14.5 His calves are expected to be 14.5 lb less than breed avg
YM and MA I don't know about. The Angus Assn have a Milk EPD, YW EPD

from the AHA sire summary "EPDs are expressed as a relative value, not an absolute. A birth weight EPD of +5 lbs does not mean the calves will be 5 lbs heavier than the average hereford calf. EPDs are a means of comparing animals"

epd's are not based on breed averages but can be used as a comparison between bulls of the same breed. when they were originally established they were based on the average of the breed, but the average has since shifted.

in the example you gave, BW stands for birth weight. -.6 tells you that this bull's calves (on average) will weigh .6 lbs less than a bull with a BW EPD of 0 & WW stands for weaning weight. -14.5 tells you that this bull's calves (on average) will weigh 14.5 lbs less at weaning than a bull with a WW EPD of 0. i also don't know about YM & MA. i looked on the aba website & couldn't find out, either. the hereford breed has MM which stands for maternal milk & YW which stands for yearling weight.

Rule of thumb, never believe any Brahman EPD's :!:

ronay0":ks5yiez0 said:
For example,
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
JD Charleton Manso 330/6
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
Thanks

ronay0 --- I assume that you bought the two bulls you referred to directly from the J D Hudgins ranch in Hungerford, Texas. If that is the case you may want to consider contacting them concerning some of the EPD issues and questions you have. I'm sure they would be glad to help you.

ronay0":tiglatdf said:
For example,
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
JD Charleton Manso 330/6
(Hes a Reg.Brahman Bull)
Thanks

BW= Birth weight, WW=Weaning Weight, YM & MA must be Brahman categories. I've not seen them any where else. Most breeds have a YW=yearling weight.

Simply put, if you breed your herd of cows to a bull with a BW EPD of 5, you can expect the calves to weigh 5 more pounds at birth (Birthweight EPD) than if you bred them to a bull with a BW EPD of 0. It works the same with WW. You can expect calves sired by a bull with a WW EPD of 40 to weigh 40 more pounds at weaning than if you bred those same cows to a bull with a WW EPD of 0. EPDs will never tell you what a calf will weigh at any time because of the influence of the cow. 0 EPDs in most breeds is not average. For example, the Angus Association used 1976 as their base for EPDs and set that as 0. But EPDs are averaged twice a year for the breed. The average BW EPD for the breed today is about 3 and WW is over 30.