EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

DRB

Reaction score
I looked at a Bull's epd's and medical report this week. His yearling scrotal measurement was 30 cm. his epd score was 0.7. I looked up the breed average (Hereford) the average was a score of .6. So this bull with a circumference of only 30 cm is above the breed average? I can't belive it! Am I reading something wrong? Also, the article in Cattle Today says that a bull with 29 cm or less may be seriously lacking in the fertility department.....WASSS UP?

My bull is .82 I don't know where they came up .6 as the average. I am no longer a TPR breeder, just to hard to keep up with all the records. I am know a pedigree breeder. I might be wrong but I don't remember circumference on the tpr forms.

DRB":2ftlmu86 said:
I looked at a Bull's epd's and medical report this week. His yearling scrotal measurement was 30 cm. his epd score was 0.7. I looked up the breed average (Hereford) the average was a score of .6. So this bull with a circumference of only 30 cm is above the breed average? I can't belive it! Am I reading something wrong? Also, the article in Cattle Today says that a bull with 29 cm or less may be seriously lacking in the fertility department.....WASSS UP?

The Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) recommends a minimum yearling scrotal of at least 30 cm. in a breeding bull. EPDs are based on more than just this individual bull's performance; they take into consideration measurements submitted on his relatives. The more info available, the more accurate his EPDs will be. Scrotal size can be affected by how he was developed, too. If he had been fed well, he might have a larger scrotal. Or not. Do you think his scrotal measurement has been reported to the Hereford Assn? If not, and you report it, his EPD might drop to breed average or less.

I bet steers really knock down the breed average for scrotal

dun

Frankie":uitqhcqd said:
DRB":uitqhcqd said:

The Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) recommends a minimum yearling scrotal of at least 30 cm. in a breeding bull. EPDs are based on more than just this individual bull's performance; they take into consideration measurements submitted on his relatives. The more info available, the more accurate his EPDs will be. Scrotal size can be affected by how he was developed, too. If he had been fed well, he might have a larger scrotal. Or not. Do you think his scrotal measurement has been reported to the Hereford Assn? If not, and you report it, his EPD might drop to breed average or less.

Latest posts