EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone, Hi I am new at all this cow stuff and I want to learn how to judge and compare cattle by epd's. Does anyone have any reference or resources or comments on Epd's? Thanks--Becky

[email protected]

> Hi everyone, Hi I am new at all
> this cow stuff and I want to learn
> how to judge and compare cattle by
> epd's. Does anyone have any
> reference or resources or comments
> on Epd's? Thanks--Becky

Hi Becky, EPD's can be good and can be very disapointing. I guess it depends on what specific trait you are looking for. Such as birth weight, weaning weight, etc. The higher the number on the + side means percentage above breed average, if there is a lower number on the - side it means its below breed average. The genetic evaluation system is based on information about parents, siblings, half-sibs and progeny, as well as data on the individual. The more information provided for any animal, the more accurate the estimate of genetic merit for that individual. It is important to remember that EPD's are estimates based on actual performance data and are only as good as the quality of data submitted by breeders. But the most important trait we've found is visual appraisal, and doing your homework on pedigree's. Hope this helps you out.

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/DownsizeDr/cooperlee/
[email protected]

The American Angus assoc. has a good deal of info about epds. They are at <A HREF="http://www.angus.org">www.angus.org</A>

Accurate epds are the best tool to improve measured traits. There is a base epd for each breed, you need to know the base to compare the numbers. The + or - is expressed in pounds above or below 0 for weight epds.

Epds are to be used as a comparison between cattle of the same breed. A bull with a yearling gain epd of +100 compared to a bull with one of +50 would generally give you 50 more pounds of calf at 1 year on the same group of cows under the same conditions.

Visual appraisal is needed as different framed bulls can have the same epds. One will throw fancy calves and the other will throw blobs of the same weight.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> The American Angus assoc. has a
> good deal of info about epds. They
> are at <A HREF="http://www.angus.org">www.angus.org</A> Accurate
> epds are the best tool to improve
> measured traits. There is a base
> epd for each breed, you need to
> know the base to compare the
> numbers. The + or - is expressed
> in pounds above or below 0 for
> weight epds.

> Epds are to be used as a
> comparison between cattle of the
> same breed. A bull with a yearling
> gain epd of +100 compared to a
> bull with one of +50 would
> generally give you 50 more pounds
> of calf at 1 year on the same
> group of cows under the same
> conditions.

> Visual appraisal is needed as
> different framed bulls can have
> the same epds. One will throw
> fancy calves and the other will
> throw blobs of the same weight.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES!!!!!!!!!!

[email protected]

Latest posts