epd's

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I bought a young angus bull with exellant epd's(high weaning and yearling weights) but now that he's two he looks like a runt. I know he's got great genetics but I dont like the looks of him. Would it still be possible for him to produce accordingly to his epd's or is he just a bad seed?

Rod":s7uowa0w said:
I bought a young angus bull with exellant epd's(high weaning and yearling weights) but now that he's two he looks like a runt. I know he's got great genetics but I dont like the looks of him. Would it still be possible for him to produce accordingly to his epd's or is he just a bad seed?

by the theory, he is 3 times more likely to produce like his EPDs say than his own performance.

my concern would be why he hasnt developed. the calves might have the same problem if your management/environment cant support animals with such high demands.

Rod":2qtyqf75 said:

His EPDs are a better indicator of his breeding potential than his own looks. Did you develop him? Do you have any calves by him yet? How do they look.

Rod":xd1fo3fm said:

If he has been given the opportunity to express his genetic potential I would stay away from him.

If not, it could be a gamble.

What did he look like as a weanling and yearling?

That would be my biggest question.

It was a dry year when I bought him and i was factoring that into his low weaning and yearling weights. I believe his 205 day weight was only 575lbs and his yearling was 880lbs. I put him on a few heifers this spring so I dont have any calves out of him yet.

Good Example of great EPDS and no growth, G A R Integrity. At least that is what I have seen out of some of the cows I own that were bred to him and the calves are dinks. I even bred a 7.2 frame cow to Integrity and the calf is a runt also. I on't think I will be using him anymore.

Hill Creek Farm":3hlok50b said:
Good Example of great EPDS and no growth, G A R Integrity. At least that is what I have seen out of some of the cows I own that were bred to him and the calves are dinks. I even bred a 7.2 frame cow to Integrity and the calf is a runt also. I on't think I will be using him anymore.
Matt, when did you breed this cow to Integrity. For just going in the Angus business in the last 3 or 4 weeks I am really suprised that any Angus cows that you have bred has already calved.
Hill Creek Farm":3hlok50b said:
I even bred a 7.2 frame cow to Integrity and the calf is a runt also.
You might oughta check your breeding and calving records a little closer or you are maybe raising Black Rabbits.

la4angus":1kv36a24 said:
Hill Creek Farm":1kv36a24 said:
Matt, when did you breed this cow to Integrity. For just going in the Angus business in the last 3 or 4 weeks I am really suprised that any Angus cows that you have bred has already calved.
Hill Creek Farm":1kv36a24 said:
I even bred a 7.2 frame cow to Integrity and the calf is a runt also.
You might oughta check your breeding and calving records a little closer or you are maybe raising Black Rabbits.
LA4Angus, they that cow and the other 12 cows I bred to Integrity were all commerical cows I bred last Spring in Apirl and May 2005 and I am now seeing jsut how much of a dink they really are.

It is one thing to have genetic potential and another to raise the animal so that they are able to reach their genetic potential

Latest posts