• EPD's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Show placings

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt

Reaction score
When breeding registered cattle, what, in the end is more important as an end result, an animal with great EPD's or does well in the ring?

-Matt

I will use epd more than how they do in the show ring. To me, that doesn't matter much at all. Now, they do have to pass the eye test...nuts, buts and guts.

I tend to discriminate against show cattle. If an AI bull has a show banner behind him in an add I most likely shy away from him. I will not buy a show animal period no matter how good the epd's and animal looks. That animal has been exposed to countless diseases and most likely been severely over fed. I want aninals that will work in a pasture management scheme not the grain bucket.

A question about EPDs and looks . It seems to me that the cattle I like on paper with low BW Epds etc do not look good in person. They pale in comparison to the heavier BW EPD cattle.
Am I the only one noticing this?

ArabianFancy(GinaD)":232knq66 said:
A question about EPDs and looks . It seems to me that the cattle I like on paper with low BW Epds etc do not look good in person. They pale in comparison to the heavier BW EPD cattle.
Gina
How low of EPD BW are you talking about?

ArabianFancy(GinaD)":1vn8om25 said:
Hi,
I mean 2.2 or lower.
Hi Gina
Angus bulls with +2.2 BW EPD's should be OK in comparison to the lighter BW bulls. I know that some with much less than that won't
compare for muscling and structure of some of the heavier BW bulls. In the part of the country that you and I are
from there isn't any problem with using some of the heavier BW EPD bulls, due to the lack of strength in the grass. The cows will have a lower BW calf than if she was a few hundred mi. North, West, and/or NorthWest of you or I.

Thanks! I am going to have to shop for some realy low BW EPD bulls in the next few years , to offset the higher EPD's in the bulls I have now, Maybe I can shop with you or some of the others' here!
( I know I am still in the stone age, but I have no intention of doing AI any time soon. )
Thanks!
Gina

ArabianFancy(GinaD)":2qpjomtc said:

It's hard to have both, calving ease and growth. There's a hereford bull, Thunder, 7 time national champion, 60ww, 121yw, and 7.5bw

Matt":2r29ykch said:
ArabianFancy(GinaD)":2r29ykch said:

It's hard to have both, calving ease and growth. There's a hereford bull, Thunder, 7 time national champion, 60ww, 121yw, and 7.5bw

In the AI studs therre are a number of bulls in several breeds that give you both. They are considered antagonistic traits, but if you look you can find those outliers that will do the job.

dun

I do consider EPD's before I consider what an animal has done in the show ring.. however, I take exception to the comment that was made that a breeding animal can't have both.

We just bought (March) a Simmental bull in Missouri that won his class at Denver.. his EPD's are also very good, and his bloodlines are popular as well. He's got progeny on the ground (a requirement when we purchase a bull.. we're too old to wait for a yearling to have progeny to judge) and is gentle to boot. I've always thought that a lot of folks that are looking for bulls tend to overlook some obvious choices.. and perhaps don't look very far from home.

Latest posts