EPD's I think

Help Support CattleToday:

Are bulls with such high percentage readily available and how do they compare in price to bulls with equal EPD numbers but less collected data?

Frankie":19jbgvtb said:
treytex":19jbgvtb said:
Can a person tell if a bull has desirable traits such as low birth weight by looking at the bull or is always necessary to have a pedigree.

Some people claim they can tell an easy calving bull by looking at him. Maybe that's true, but the Beef Improvement Federation (BIF), most ag Universities, and several breed associations all say EPDs are the most accurate indicator of a bull's breeding ability available to cattlemen. So I use them and they work. :D
Frankie, I don't want to discuss the fact any more . You and I are on different sides of this argument. I would like to read the study you site. Can you post links or dates or something that will help me find the studys. My question is do the studies look at decision making tools individually , i.e. birthweight and compare epd's to that only? Or do they compare epd's to several other decision making tools such as birthweight , pedigree, stockman's selection pressure, etc?

denoginnizer":2qdqc5wa said:
To get a .85 how many calves must be recorded from the bull?

That will depend on how much data is available on the animal's ancestors.

ollie":378ofc4z said:
Frankie":378ofc4z said:
treytex":378ofc4z said:
Can a person tell if a bull has desirable traits such as low birth weight by looking at the bull or is always necessary to have a pedigree.

Some people claim they can tell an easy calving bull by looking at him. Maybe that's true, but the Beef Improvement Federation (BIF), most ag Universities, and several breed associations all say EPDs are the most accurate indicator of a bull's breeding ability available to cattlemen. So I use them and they work. :D
Frankie, I don't want to discuss the fact any more . You and I are on different sides of this argument. I would like to read the study you site. Can you post links or dates or something that will help me find the studys. My question is do the studies look at decision making tools individually , i.e. birthweight and compare epd's to that only? Or do they compare epd's to several other decision making tools such as birthweight , pedigree, stockman's selection pressure, etc?

LOL, Ollie. You do or you don't want to discuss what fact? We can not discuss any fact you want to discuss. :lol: I don't think I referenced any studies in this post.

Yes, many of the bulls are available through the owners, or from semen distributors and private companies who sell semen on all breeds. The AHA has a very good database and has many tools which can help you find Hereford bulls with high accuracies, and help you find the owners of them too. EPD accuracy is very important. It gives more credibility to the numbers, but it does help drive the cost of semen and or the bull up, especially if the EPD's are in the top end of the breed. Talk to breeders or your Assoc. (if you're in one). They can help you find the type bull you are looking for. Be careful about chasing show champions with great EPD's! Sometimes it takes years for cattlemen to realize a bull is as stated on paper, and that their daughters really do work. Many national champions have come and gone for this reason.

denoginnizer":sfnt5st0 said:
Are bulls with such high percentage readily available and how do they compare in price to bulls with equal EPD numbers but less collected data?

There are many Angus bulls with good accuracies available for AI use. Yearling bulls probably won't have high accuracies. Prices on semen of Angus bulls usually doesn't reflect accuracy. Some operations charge $40 for their bulls, whether they're young (low accuracies) or old (higher accuracies). Bulls that are solid, dependable semen producers generally won't change much in price over their lifetime. Sometimes a bull will catch fire with breeders and the demand exceed his ability to produce and the owners will go up on the price. The price of the most used Angus bull in the breed last year, Bon View New Design 878, has been $20 for quite a while. I don't expect it to go up until he's no longer producing. I'm sorry, I can't give you any info on other breeds.

Latest posts