EPD what are they

Help Support CattleToday:

Lee

Reaction score
When buying bulls I always watch their Birth weights then I look at thier Weaning weight.
But this EPD is really confusing.
Are EPD's differant for differant breeds ?
Is there a web site some where explaining how EPD Values are set up and what they mean?
Thanks

Every breed has a different average for EPDs no two breeds are the same so you can't easily compare two different breeds. EPds are just a tool to project how the progeny of the animal will perform.
Hope this helped,
Jake

Lee":nhvxtbwr said:
When buying bulls I always watch their Birth weights then I look at thier Weaning weight.
But this EPD is really confusing.
Are EPD's differant for differant breeds ?
Is there a web site some where explaining how EPD Values are set up and what they mean?
Thanks

Yes, you can't compare the EPDs of one breed with the EPDs of another. An Angus bull with a 0 BW EPD will sire smaller calves than a Charolais bull with a BW EPD of 0. MARC has created a set of across breed EPDs. I have a link somewhere if you want it. Here's the Angus site that suggests the best way to use EPDs when buying a bull:

http://www.angus.org/pubs/bullbuy.htm

Good luck...

Anonymous":e2xbmiaz said:
how do you read epd's
Go to the site above, that Frankie gave . That should help to answer many questions. If you have any problems feel free to eMail me.

From left to right.
Look at the angus site, I understand from Frankie's posts that they have a very good explanation of them. Just bear in mind that not all breeds use the same EPD teminology and some breeds have different EPDs then others. I would think that any of the breed association web sites would have an explanation of their particular EPDS.
The EPDs will give you the numbers, but it's up to the individual situation as to which ones are important/more important then others. The end use of the calves would be the determining factors.
Also, in most breeds there are bulls that will excell in antagonostic traits. Very low birth weights and very high weaning and yearling weights, etc.
You have to know where you are at now and where you want to end up. Determine your goals and develop a breeding plan based on the goals you hope to reach based on the point you are starting at.

dun

Anonymous":38ne6cvo said:
how do you read epd's

Anonymous":2gzebnqq said:
how do you read epd's

the hereford assoc usually has a pretty good explanation in their sire summary.

i taught an animal breeding/genetics lab in college & one of our topics was epd's. feel free to e-mail me w/any questions as well.

O.K.
I have 13 black baldy heifers Hereford on the bottom side.
I'm looking at 2 bulls one hereford one angus.
both have a EPD of +3 on birth weight
which one do I have to spend next spring staying up all night with?

+3 is above the average BW for angus and below the average for Herefords. That's the catch to using EPDs from two different breeds. My rule of thumb and it's pretty much the standard for a two way cross rotational breeding system, is to use the breed of the dam on the calves. Sired by Angus use Hereford, sired by Hereford use Angus.

dun

Lee":2vhw4q2k said:
O.K.

Lee":ybq239uq said:
O.K.

I know nothing about the herdford EPD numbers and what is consider safe for breeding heifers. I would be check the heifers more often if I had used a +3 angus bull on heifers. I personally like a angus bull to be +2 or less if I an using him on heifers. I will let the herdford gurus advise on a +3 herdford bull.

pat

Latest posts