EPD Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":17bn85m2 said:
Michelle said:

"For the person who made the comment that you can compare animals of the same breed from different herds, you are full of poo"

I'm the person who said that and I'm not full of poo. You are not knowledgable about EPDs. If you're raising seedstock, you should be embarrased to post something like this.

"Yes within a breed there are many simmilarities, but there are huge differences as well"

Agree. And EPDs are the best tool to indentify the animals that will work for an individual breeder.

"Animals that are raised by different methods, ie. forage v grain development, this is a huge factor that needs to be considered when you look at over all performance,"

But that has nothing to do with EPDs. Ever hear the term "contemporary group?" When performance data is reported to the AHIR (Angus Herd Improvement Records), calves are grouped into a contemporary group. They are within 90 days of each other and managed the same.

"you also need to be able to take age into consideration, the fact that 18 month old bulls are sahedding their disiduous teeth plays a factor in their ability to eat and maintain their body condition"

Weaning data on a contemporary group is adjusted to a common endpoint (205) days. Yearling weights are adjusted to 365 days. Frankly, I don't care how an 18 month old bull performs and don't know of any breed association that collects data on 18 month old bulls. My goal is to produce bulls that will sire calves that will be dead long before they're 18 months old!

"A bull fed out on high concentrates will also fall apart when turned out on cows on forage if not adjusted to a farage based diet"

So what if he falls apart? His genetics don't change. As Dun pointed out in his post, his looks have very little to do with his ability to produce good (or sorry) calves.

"Yep EPD's will give you an idea of average performance expected from an animal based on his initial performance and the predictable performance produced from their parrents and other relatives"

No, EPDs don't tell you anything about "average performance." Your entire post shows you are totally missing the point of EPDs. EPDs take performance data on thousands of young animals, run it through a complicted math program which includes heritability estimates, [and gives you the EXPECTED genetic worth of that animal.] If you breed bull A with a WW of 40 to your cows, you would EXPECT those calves to weigh 40 more pounds at weaning than if you bred those same cows to bull B with a WW EPD of 0. That's what EPDs do. It has nothing to do with how those two bulls were managed or how old they are. It has to do with their genetic potential, based on performance data from thousands of relatives.
Good grief Frankie. She is not the only one that should be ashamed. There is ABSOLUTELY no genetic worth because an animal has a certain epd.They may not breed as their paper says. For that mater they may not even be fertile.

I realize you said expected so before you jump to conclusions what would be the expected genetic worth of a +40 weaning weight?

ollie":2f38iw2m said:
...what would be the expected genetic worth of a +40 weaning weight?

EPDs allow you to make comparisons between breeding animals. You can only judge the value of a bull with a WW EPD of +40 when you compare him to another bull.

la4angus":ybusfm1m said:
Once again I will have to say that the performance of one animal will not make one iota of difference in the EPD. The EPD's are made up of a compilation of hundreds or even thousands of animals related to the individual animal that the EPD's are calculated for

Cattle Rack Rancher":ybusfm1m said:
I've heard of guys who once they've got their bull calves selected that they are going to keep for sale, throw them in with dairy cows to maximize the milk they get and creep feed the heck out of them to get their weaning weight up. ?
Jack Ward told me that you can move a bull's EPD's if he is siring calves that exceed the performance of a bull with higher EPD's in the same herd. EPD's are a tool, but they are not the only one. There is nothing wrong with using your eyes to evaluate an animal, if that's not all you do.

Do other breeds have anything like the Genetic Outreach Program, where multiple reference sires are compared through AI in commercial herds like Olson Ranches? This levels the playing field for Hereford bulls in the reference program, for the calves are all from the same herd, treated the same way.

greenwillowherefords":30s1j8vk said:
Do other breeds have anything like the Genetic Outreach Program, where multiple reference sires are compared through AI in commercial herds like Olson Ranches? This levels the playing field for Hereford bulls in the reference program, for the calves are all from the same herd, treated the same way.

There's a program called "Angus Sire Alliance" that might be what you are looking for. Breeders nominate their bull, collect semen, then Circle A Angus breeds the bulls to several hundred cows. The calves are followed through the feedlot and the bull producing the most profitable calves is declared the winner. ABS then makes him available to producers via AI. There's probably info available online if you wanted to do a search.

That is similar. There are several operations in gop, including some in Australia, I believe. HW recently featured some of this info. The magazine is in my truck,which my wife is washing in town, so I can't give you a first name there on Olson. It may be Olsen. They do track the feedlot and carcass performance in gop. Are you aware that Hereford is now doing tenderness EPDs beginning with actual testing of steers sired by the reference sires? The #1 tenderness EPD bull at this point is MC Ranger.

Campground Cattle":iy6v7aqr said:
Hereford epd's are a bunch of @$#% tpr stinks at best.

Nuff said.

My good friend Richard Day of Day Herefords, Roff Ok holds a similar opinion of EPDs minus the generic profanity as he is also a minister. I'm somewhere in the middle. I am using some bloodlines that will stack up to anything in the price range, but their EPD accuracy is extremely low and extremely off target because there have been no TPR on those cattle in years. Mr. Day is the only one that breeds them in quantity, and he sells mostly to commercial cattlemen, so the bulls are not being evaluated in the Hereford equation. He sells most of his bulls to go on Brangus cowherds. He displayed a bull on the OK Hereford Tour this summer that really opened some eyes concerning thickness and disposition. A gentleman purchased several heifers from him this summer to put a polled Hereford bull on to raise show calves......he said he remembered the Hazlett thickness from the old days, and it was back in style. Here I go again wandering from the main subject. Are you guys getting tired of that? Sorry. I know I'm a Hereford fan more than what some like to hear.

greenwillowherefords":1z1sfp8h said:
The magazine is in my truck,which my wife is washing .
How did you con your wife into washing your truck? :lol: :lol:

greenwillowherefords":g05u9jap said:
Campground Cattle":g05u9jap said:
Hereford epd's are a bunch of @$#% tpr stinks at best.

Nuff said.

My good friend Richard Day of Day Herefords, Roff Ok holds a similar opinion of EPDs minus the generic profanity as he is also a minister. I'm somewhere in the middle. I am using some bloodlines that will stack up to anything in the price range, but their EPD accuracy is extremely low and extremely off target because there have been no TPR on those cattle in years. Mr. Day is the only one that breeds them in quantity, and he sells mostly to commercial cattlemen, so the bulls are not being evaluated in the Hereford equation. He sells most of his bulls to go on Brangus cowherds. He displayed a bull on the OK Hereford Tour this summer that really opened some eyes concerning thickness and disposition. A gentleman purchased several heifers from him this summer to put a polled Hereford bull on to raise show calves......he said he remembered the Hazlett thickness from the old days, and it was back in style. Here I go again wandering from the main subject. Are you guys getting tired of that? Sorry. I know I'm a Hereford fan more than what some like to hear.

Your way past a fan let up, and I am a Hereford man. And you statement about TPR on the cattle. Maybe I wasn't clear. TPR STINKS AT BEST

greenwillowherefords":2ofuki4d said:
My good friend Richard Day of Day Herefords, Roff Ok.......
You sure do know a lot of people in the Whiteface world, Willow. You must have been in the business a long time.

greenwillowherefords":2ofuki4d said:
I know I'm a Hereford fan more than what some like to hear.
Nothing wrong with being obsessed with a breed of cattle. Does the American Whiteface Association have a discussion board? I bet you're not the only one that likes to talk about them.

Texan":3jfa0k2j said:
greenwillowherefords":3jfa0k2j said:
My good friend Richard Day of Day Herefords, Roff Ok.......
You sure do know a lot of people in the Whiteface world, Willow. You must have been in the business a long time.

greenwillowherefords":3jfa0k2j said:
I know I'm a Hereford fan more than what some like to hear.
Nothing wrong with being obsessed with a breed of cattle. Does the American Whiteface Association have a discussion board? I bet you're not the only one that likes to talk about them.
:oops: I get the message.
In reply abot the truck, she just got tired of looking at it. :D

Latest posts