EPD Question

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
This is probably a question for the Hereford guys since each breeds EPD's are done differently.
Was looking at GH Rambos 279R EPD listed on the AHA. I was asked what the -2.0 listed on the Calving Ease Direct% meant? I have no idea.
They also asked about BMI index ; CEZ index ; BII index.

I do understand most of the EPD's listed, but this I don't.

Calving ease direct relates to the bull, CE maternal relates to his daughters. When it comes to calving ease, negative is bad, and positive is good. Just opposite of BW. The BMI I believe relates to the value of the bull in a baldie maternal setting, Another index is the Bos Indicus, how the bull works with Brahman influence, etc.

I luv herfrds":24bgek1r said:
This is probably a question for the Hereford guys since each breeds EPD's are done differently.
Was looking at GH Rambos 279R EPD listed on the AHA. I was asked what the -2.0 listed on the Calving Ease Direct% meant? I have no idea.
They also asked about BMI index ; CEZ index ; BII index.

I do understand most of the EPD's listed, but this I don't.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 6&9=5E5A5B

The accuracy is only .27 which is not proven and implies additional risk such that any number shown for CE, -2.0 in this case, can fluctuate much greater in future EPD revisions each EPD season. Additionally, this value of -2.0 is below breed average which is -0.1. The highest in the breed is a tad over 10 and the lowest in the breed is a tad below -10.

"CED (Calving Ease-Direct): A positive number or higher number for this EPD indicates easier calving ease. The CED EPD predicts the ease with which the progeny of the individual should be born. This EPD is derived from the calving ease scores turned in, with birth weight for the animals in the pedigree being a major part of this formula. Consider selecting for either CE or BW, not both, because doing both over-emphasizes BW."

http://www.starlakecattleranch.com/page ... read&id=10

Thanks for the info.
Contacted the 4L Ranch and got Rambo's actual numbers. Was also sent to the Canadian Hereford web site and got alot of info from there.

Got 5 big cows picked out for AI next year.