EPA, methane production/cow tax

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
got an e-mail today regarding a proposed tax the EPA would like to establish to deter methane production. if enacted as it is currently proposed, cattlemen would be taxed at a rate of $176/cow. if we're going to place a tax on methane generation, maybe the EPA personell should be taxed. the ideas they're coming up with contribute a heckuvalot more crap than a cow could ever generate. surely to goodness ideas such as this will never be mandated, but non-the-less taxpayers are paying the salaries that these people rake in. it's kind of like paying an axe-murdurer to give you a haircut. :shock:

ROB

ROB":1vmv60b0 said:
got an e-mail today regarding a proposed tax the EPA would like to establish to deter methane production. if enacted as it is currently proposed, cattlemen would be taxed at a rate of $176/cow. if we're going to place a tax on methane generation, maybe the EPA personell should be taxed. the ideas they're coming up with contribute a heckuvalot more crap than a cow could ever generate. surely to goodness ideas such as this will never be mandated, but non-the-less taxpayers are paying the salaries that these people rake in. it's kind of like paying an axe-murdurer to give you a haircut. :shock:

ROB

So much for trying to make a profit. Here is a link to a post on it.
http://advocatesforag.blogspot.com/2008/11/cow-tax.html

Don't these EPA idiots know that weather a cow eats the grass or it rots in the ditch the carbon will make its way back into the atmosphere!

garman":32esi278 said:
Don't these EPA idiots know that weather a cow eats the grass or it rots in the ditch the carbon will make its way back into the atmosphere!

Does grass grow more in total if topped than if the grass was never topped?

According to what I have been taught in school and researched for myself, livestock certainly do produce methane, but they have not contributed significantly to our current climate issues. We need to look at other sources and encourage people to try other options rather than taxing the death out of everyone. They say positive reinforcment works better than punishment when you're training dogs, why wouldn't it be any different with humans? Why not offer tax breaks for pursuing more environmentally friendly options rather than adding more taxes to what we already pay?
I think taxing the farmers is quite unfair when most are getting such a small cut for their products anyways.

Instead of trying to tax people out of business in America why don't they just outlaw the consumption of Beef? So instead of just favoring foreign beef producers, they would actually cut down on the consumption of the product. Now I want to see the politician who tells us here in America that we can not have a hamburger or a steak to eat!

So the huge herds of buffalo that roamed the entire country 400 years ago didn't produce methane :???:
All sounds like a bunch of political and beauracratic hot air to me....

This is more than a sore topic with me. It's this type of government that leads to a Hiltleristic situation. And…we are allowing OUR tax dollars to do it. What kind of stupid are we? What's next after cows….it's US. We need to fight this with everything we got.

Oldtimer":1hflzi6f said:
So the huge herds of buffalo that roamed the entire country 400 years ago didn't produce methane :???:
All sounds like a bunch of political and beauracratic hot air to me....
According to a nutritionist that has herd of buffalo (seen this on tv), ranchers/farmers have Genetically Modified cattle to marble and as result cattle now produce methane. I couldn't beleive she was that stupid, but she's actually a city person trying to market her meat to other idiots.

I just read in a beef trade magazne that the EPA cow tax is a rumor that got out of hand. There is no such proposed tax.

Latest posts