Entertainment World

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Why is the news media so engrossed in entertainment ? Is the general public so shallow minded that is all they want to hear, I do not think so , the working people are busy making a living trying to support their family , they do not care about what happens in the entertainment world. If another movie or tv show was never produced it would be fine with me. It seems to be a way to brain wash the weak minded into their way of thinking.

Smoke and mirrors to entertain the masses. Plus, people genuinely care because either they're living vicariously through them, or they're told to care so they do. One of the local radio stations devotes at least 15 minutes a day to it, but absolutely no political/world/etc news. It's baffling why people care so much..

cowboy43":28fmryx6 said:
Why is the news media so engrossed in entertainment ? Is the general public so shallow minded that is all they want to hear, I do not think so , the working people are busy making a living trying to support their family , they do not care about what happens in the entertainment world. If another movie or tv show was never produced it would be fine with me. It seems to be a way to brain wash the weak minded into their way of thinking.
If another "reality show" was never produced I'd be happy. It's getting ridiculous.

I disagree. I think a large number of Americans live and die for Hollowood.

I don't and you don't. "They" do. It kills me when some empty headed lamebrain next to me on an airplane is reading People magazine. I just want to whisper (scream) in their ear, "Why do you care?"

HDRider":1kb90qw9 said:

I don't and you don't. "They" do. It kills me when some empty headed lamebrain next to me on an airplane is reading People magazine. I just want to whisper (scream) in their ear, "Why do you care?"

I will fess up! My mother gets me a People mag subscription every year. :hide: The only time I read it is when I'm on my elliptical machine in the basement. It's my guilty treat for working out. I skip over the parts I don't care about, but read the human interest stories (small-town heros, families who adopted a passel of foster kids, stories on cops who saved someone, a dog who saved someone, etc), and the book/movie/music reviews. It makes the time pass while I'm torturing myself.
I HATE reality tv though. Well, I used to watch Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch, if those count! I wouldn't know a Kardashian if it bit me (and it just might!).
Ok, now y'all have to admit to your (G-rated) Guilty Pleasures, since I've confessed! :D

boondocks":1tdusgf7 said:
HDRider":1tdusgf7 said:

I will fess up! My mother gets me a People mag subscription every year. :hide: The only time I read it is when I'm on my elliptical machine in the basement. It's my guilty treat for working out. I skip over the parts I don't care about, but read the human interest stories (small-town heros, families who adopted a passel of foster kids, stories on cops who saved someone, a dog who saved someone, etc), and the book/movie/music reviews. It makes the time pass while I'm torturing myself.
I HATE reality tv though. Well, I used to watch Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch, if those count! I wouldn't know a Kardashian if it bit me (and it just might!).
Ok, now y'all have to admit to your (G-rated) Guilty Pleasures, since I've confessed! :D

Cattle Today is about all the fun I can handle. It's been 11 years since we've had TV, and somehow were still surviving. The weirdos are doing their best to make US of A a third world country.

Boondocks,... i find even shows based on actual reality like Ice road truckers, Highway thru h3ll, etc are FAR overdramatised to the point it's stupid... They keep pointing out how dangerous stuff is, when it's evident, and also when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to avoid the danger... So my guilty pleasures? Well.. Married with Children was some old gold... Watch a few cop shows.. NCIS and the likes.

True grit.. I've never owned a TV.. if there's a show worth watching that comes well enough recommended I'll download it...

Nesikep":3qdgxgxr said:
Boondocks,... i find even shows based on actual reality like Ice road truckers, Highway thru h3ll, etc are FAR overdramatised to the point it's stupid... They keep pointing out how dangerous stuff is, when it's evident, and also when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to avoid the danger... So my guilty pleasures? Well.. Married with Children was some old gold... Watch a few cop shows.. NCIS and the likes.

True grit.. I've never owned a TV.. if there's a show worth watching that comes well enough recommended I'll download it...

Nesi, are you near the road they feature in Highway Thru H3LL? The Coquihalla?
I hear what you're saying that the risks are pretty evident (especially the Coq in winter), so why don't those truckers chain up? Boggles my mind...Mayhem ensues because they don't chain up (and of course sometimes even if they do)
Some of the shows like the above I've liked for the scenery as much as anything!

Yeah, Coquihalla highway is about 2 hours from here to either end of it.. In a few episodes they went up to Lytton, which is 28 miles from me.

I don't get it either.. and commercial vehicles aren't required to have designated winter tires like passenger vehicles are.. which boggles my mind.. Chains on the truck, and winter tires of the trailers would go a long way in preventing jack knifing that you see all over the place...
On the other hand it makes for "entertainment"

Have you seen the spin-off show Heavy Rescue 401? that's closer to your neck of the woods.. doesn't look any better there either though

Did everyone see how quick this thread went from condemning the entertainment world to a discussion of some of the very things we all profess to hate?!

Don't do much flying but some places I go "People" magazine is the heaviest reading in the waiting room rack.

True Grit Farms":3pliz61v said:
Hogans Hero's, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and I love Lucy was some real TV, last I knew folks were watching crap like the Simpsons.
Don;t forget F Troop and Green Acres

We have a TV, but gave up on network/dish years ago. There are some really good channels on YouTube, and it's free, so it fits our budget. Just like it is for most of you, it's usually seven days a week of before sunrise to after sunset around here, so not much time for the TV.......BUT we do keep up with S/V Delos on YouTube, even though we aren't sailors. They do quite a bit of diving, and that is something I've enjoyed since I was a kid. We did buy an Amazon Firestick for the TV, which is handier than keeping a computer plugged in.
Our 8 year old asked for a video game for Christmas this year, so we went cheap and got her the gaming controller for the Firestick and downloaded a couple of games. Just as I suspected, she played with it while her cousins were here, and went back to snowballs and mud pies as soon as they left. We are lucky to have a well behaved kid, with perfect grades, that has discovered working and saving money are kinda fun.

Nesikep":eehuck04 said:
So my guilty pleasures? Well.. Married with Children was some old gold... Watch a few cop shows.. NCIS and the likes.

The closest thing to reality TV I watch is The Red Green Show.............. :hide:

boondocks":phjiwptg said:
Nesikep":phjiwptg said:

I hear what you're saying that the risks are pretty evident (especially the Coq in winter), so why don't those truckers chain up? Boggles my mind...Mayhem ensues because they don't chain up (and of course sometimes even if they do)
Some of the shows like the above I've liked for the scenery as much as anything!
It's what the get paid to do. Producers wouldn't have the show they want.

I have an OK cable package, but I've been layer up after foot surgery for the past 11 weeks. I still find I pretty much stick to PBS. We Netflix, but the DVDs because they have a better selection. Right now we're stuck on Northern Exposure. Can't do "reality TV" because it's all manufactured to some degree.

1982vett":17227cc0 said:
boondocks":17227cc0 said:
Nesikep":17227cc0 said:

It's what the get paid to do. Producers wouldn't have the show they want.
I think it's the other way around there.. It just happens to be a place where you'll have a pileup at every snowfall because no one chains up.. perfect place for the show

dun":3c32y4wn said:
True Grit Farms":3c32y4wn said:
Hogans Hero's, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and I love Lucy was some real TV, last I knew folks were watching crap like the Simpsons.
Don;t forget F Troop and Green Acres
Green Acres- That makes me think of Arnold Ziffel, 1 of my all time favorite actors! :lol: :mrgreen:

Bestoutwest":2u2toe8x said:
I have an OK cable package, but I've been layer up after foot surgery for the past 11 weeks. I still find I pretty much stick to PBS. We Netflix, but the DVDs because they have a better selection. Right now we're stuck on Northern Exposure. Can't do "reality TV" because it's all manufactured to some degree.
If you're going to be layed up a bit longer you might try "He// on Wheels". Pretty good series.

TexasBred":3t1ve2ay said:
If you're going to be layed up a bit longer you might try "He// on Wheels". Pretty good series.

I'll have to look into that. What channel is it from? I have another surgery Thursday to remove the hardware they just put in, so I've got all sorts of time.

Latest posts