Enlisting Cows in the Struggle to Reverse Climate Change

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
https://www.triplepundit.com/story/2019/enlisting-cows-struggle-reverse-climate-change/83386

Healing the land

"Going back to the older ways was about healing my land from years of centralized, commoditized, industrialized farming. It was about caring for my animals and helping my local rural community," Harris said. "The carbon sequestration was a pleasant, unintended benefit."

In the past 25 years, Harris has transitioned from 0.5 percent to 5 percent organic farming, he said, and his revenues have increased from $1 million to $20 million. And his operation has grown from three employees making minimum wage to 165 employees "making twice the county average in one of the most impoverished counties in Georgia," he added.

Harris said his practices, like grazing small ruminants such as sheep together with cows, have helped keep his animals healthier. The soil has gone from 1 percent soil organic matter to 5 percent. Water retention in the soil is also better, he said. There's greater biodiversity, he added, including the return of bald eagles.

more at the link

He went from .5% organic to 5% organic farming and that increased revenue by 1900%?
Wow, just imagine if he went to 100% organic.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Heard somewhere, maybe NPR, an organic farmer was having problems with gophers and his solution was to put up a few barn owl boxes which barn owls quickly took to. After a short while it was estimated the barn owls had killed and eaten 15,000 to 20,000 gophers.

One thing about the return of "eagles", he better have dogs to guard any free range chickens he has. They will decimate a flock of free range birds..... ask me how I know. They are called white headed buzzards here for all the damage they cause. I like to see them ON OCCASION; just not everyday picking up a hen to take off for a free meal.

Latest posts