english - spanish translation

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
I've hired on a mexican man to help some. He is extremely good with cattle. Probally has more experience and knowledge than I do. We have somewhat of a communication barrier though. Can anyone translate some common ranch terms

Cow - Vaca
Bull - Toro
Calf/Calves - ?
Heifer - ?
Steer - ?
Pasture - ?
Fence - ?
Corral - ?
Grass - ?
Hay - ?
Feed - ?
Water - Agua
Bred - ?
Vaccine - ?
Spray - ?
Catch - ?
Fix - ?
Gate - ?

There's probally more but these are the ones i seem to need the most. Thanks

triple'S'":1w8rmawz said:
I've hired on a mexican man to help some. He is extremely good with cattle. Probally has more experience and knowledge than I do. We have somewhat of a communication barrier though. Can anyone translate some common ranch terms

Cow - Vaca
Bull - Toro
Calf/Calves - ? bacerro/bacerra
Heifer - ? Vaquilla
Steer - ? Never used this
Pasture - ? Pasto or Pastura
Fence - ? cerca
Corral - ? corral
Grass - ? zacate
Hay - ? I always used pacas (bales)
Feed - ? aliemento
Water - Aqua
Bred - ? (Long bred... I always used panzona which basically means "Pot bellied".
Vaccine - ? Vaccination
Spray - ? Never used it.
Catch - ? Depends on how your using it.....agarrar
Fix - ? reparar
Gate - ? puerta

There's probally more but these are the ones i seem to need the most. Thanks

It should be a Red flag, if a man can not speak basic english , he is proble not herein the U.S.A. as a citizen....

Thanks for the translations.

We employ about 25 mexican men here on the farm. However, I've never had one that worked specifically with the cattle because the cattle operation is a very small part of our operation. Some speak better English than others, some speak no English at all. Everyone must submit their social security and green card when they are hired. We run these through with the government to make sure they are "legal." Thats all we can do. I'm sure that some of them have done something illegal to become "legal" but there is really no way that I can determine that. A Mexican is not required to know one word of English to apply for a green card.

Anyone that is bitter about Mexican workers is in the dark. We used to employ only whites and some blacks, but over the last 15 years they have been replaced with Mexicans. Now, the only non-Mexicans we have are management and truck drivers. You can't find whites (or blacks) that will do the work Mexicans will. I consider myself a pretty hard worker. I'm young, healthy, and enjoy my work, but when it comes time to pick up rocks on new ground, I can't keep up with most of them and you sure can't hire a white man that will do it. The majority of white and black manual blue collar laborers are way to lazy or "too good" to do the jobs my Mexicans do for $8.00-$10.00/hr. They would rather get on welfare, dissability, unemployment, and food stamps. If all Mexicans left this country America would starve. We either wouldn't have food or it would be so expensive we couldn't afford it. I know we couldn't run our business with out them.

3-S keep telling your self that, I do not believe you. Would you work for the money you are paying? No you would not ...I would not either..I hear the same arguement all the time, simple truth, a man can not feed his family on 10$ a hour....but illegels can live 5 or 6 to a appt. and send the money to mexico and return to a nice place...At one time wrong was wrong, not only wrong if you get caught ..

alftn":29ku7c79 said:
3-S keep telling your self that, I do not believe you. Would you work for the money you are paying? No you would not ...I would not either..I hear the same arguement all the time, simple truth, a man can not feed his family on 10$ a hour....but illegels can live 5 or 6 to a appt. and send the money to mexico and return to a nice place...At one time wrong was wrong, not only wrong if you get caught ..

Good post, alftn.

can we produce food that ALL AMERICANS can afford if we pay basic labor $15-$20/ hr. That just raised the price of your food by 25-40%

I understand the way your looking at it and respect that. I'm in this business everyday, I've done my time, worked my way to where I am, and now I crunch numbers everyday on what will pay the bills and put a little money in my pocket. It just ain't going to happen if I didn't have these Mexicans. You can blame me if you want and say what you would do in the situation, but that's just the way it is. We all would be suprised if we knew how many mexicans in this country were involved in agriculture and the reason is that we can't just set the price of our commodity. If i set the price of my product you dam right I would work my people. I'm as much as a patriot as anyone. But reality is that I have to produce food for less than market price to come out ahead at the end of the day.
I'm not trying to cause a stir. Thats not what I do. I apoligize if I upset anyone.

In the real world market price sets what a company can pay out for labor. In the real world very few white people will lower themselves to do the kind of work the Mexicans are doing. In the real world white people would rather work for less not to have to do this demeaning work. In the real world we have taught our children to be this way. We have elected politicians that give illegals the same rights, benefits, and privileges as citizens. Look through your rose colored glasses and keep telling yourself that the unemployed citizens would take these jobs and I say to you take off your glasses, we have taught them to take hand outs.
Now I have a suggestion for the rose colored glasses people. Rather than just criticize those that hire the Latinos, go out and find the employers some good white boys that will produce like the Mexicans at a wage that will give the employer a profit. I guarantee you that almost every company that hires Mexicans will be waiting for you with open arms.
At one time wrong was wrong, not only wrong if you get caught ..
At one time white folks did not consider this type of work demeaning..

alacattleman":9pnodffy said:
you know a mexican is like a cue ball,, the harder you hit em the more english you get

Right on....If you're going to work mexicans there is nothing wrong with YOU learning some of their language but I'd make sure they learned english. I use to work them...I spoke to them in Spanish and they would speak to me in English...we were constantly asking one another how to say this and that in spanish or english. You certainly don't learn Castillian spanish but you learn a lot of street spanish and the same for their English. The only problem I had with this system was that the first mexican I had for a couple of years turned out to be "hair lipped"......I didn't know it until I hired others and they informed me. I had to start from scratch learning my spanish as I was speaking "Hair Lipped Spanish". :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

triple S, I sure hope you aren't sitting around overly concerned about what a bunch of folks on the net think of how you conduct your business.

I couldn't agree more with your post novatech, well put.

novatech":2mci710t said:
In the real world market price sets what a company can pay out for labor. In the real world very few white people will lower themselves to do the kind of work the Mexicans are doing. In the real world white people would rather work for less not to have to do this demeaning work. In the real world we have taught our children to be this way. We have elected politicians that give illegals the same rights, benefits, and privileges as citizens. Look through your rose colored glasses and keep telling yourself that the unemployed citizens would take these jobs and I say to you take off your glasses, we have taught them to take hand outs.
Now I have a suggestion for the rose colored glasses people. Rather than just criticize those that hire the Latinos, go out and find the employers some good white boys that will produce like the Mexicans at a wage that will give the employer a profit. I guarantee you that almost every company that hires Mexicans will be waiting for you with open arms.

triple'S'":gd8g37nt said:
Thanks for the translations.

We employ about 25 mexican men here on the farm. However, I've never had one that worked specifically with the cattle because the cattle operation is a very small part of our operation. Some speak better English than others, some speak no English at all. Everyone must submit their social security and green card when they are hired. We run these through with the government to make sure they are "legal." Thats all we can do. I'm sure that some of them have done something illegal to become "legal" but there is really no way that I can determine that. A Mexican is not required to know one word of English to apply for a green card.

Anyone that is bitter about Mexican workers is in the dark. We used to employ only whites and some blacks, but over the last 15 years they have been replaced with Mexicans. Now, the only non-Mexicans we have are management and truck drivers. You can't find whites (or blacks) that will do the work Mexicans will. I consider myself a pretty hard worker. I'm young, healthy, and enjoy my work, but when it comes time to pick up rocks on new ground, I can't keep up with most of them and you sure can't hire a white man that will do it. The majority of white and black manual blue collar laborers are way to lazy or "too good" to do the jobs my Mexicans do for $8.00-$10.00/hr. They would rather get on welfare, dissability, unemployment, and food stamps. If all Mexicans left this country America would starve. We either wouldn't have food or it would be so expensive we couldn't afford it. I know we couldn't run our business with out them.

couldn;t agree more. I see it the same as the irish and chinese building the railroad.

alftn":3hp3giju said:

Don't worry, the white collars will make up the difference.

novatech":26124l63 said:

I've done at least my share of this work in tobacco, a very labor intensive crop. It is not demeaning, but it is low paid. The hardest worker for the lowest price gets the job. This is not likely to change.

triple'S'":fmt2sor2 said:
I understand the way your looking at it and respect that. I'm in this business everyday, I've done my time, worked my way to where I am, and now I crunch numbers everyday on what will pay the bills and put a little money in my pocket. It just ain't going to happen if I didn't have these Mexicans. You can blame me if you want and say what you would do in the situation, but that's just the way it is. We all would be suprised if we knew how many mexicans in this country were involved in agriculture and the reason is that we can't just set the price of our commodity. If i set the price of my product you dam right I would work my people. I'm as much as a patriot as anyone. But reality is that I have to produce food for less than market price to come out ahead at the end of the day.
I'm not trying to cause a stir. Thats not what I do. I apoligize if I upset anyone.
Triple S
I agree with you on this I have had mexicans work for me before and I would now if I could afford to hire them full time
as for the $10 per hr I guess I live in poverty because I dam sure don't make that woking for myself and any person running cattle for a living that says they make more than that are either liars or they are lazy and don't take care of their cattle and ground like it needs to be
I have a neighbor that works a full time job and has some land next to my place he say his cows make him $15,000 per yr "he is full of BS" because he doesn't contribute any of his cattle expenses or land expenses towards the cattle he pays them all out of his pocket from his day job the same as alot of people on here do

Face the facts, IT IS SIMPLE, when you hire illegels you help your pocket book, and YOU HURT YOUR COUNTRY. Yes you get cheap labor, but the illegels get all the benefits ie. school for their 6 kids, health care at any emergence room , that we do not have, ect.. It was different 150 years ago, no social services, THAT THE CITIZENS PAY FOR, the chinese, and irish did cost THE GOV.( ie me and you anything), it just is not the same..I like to think all of us care for this country..BUT

When the hispanices(mexican) who are at 23% legel poup. and as much as 10% illegels reach the 50 % and it will happen, if something does not change, this country will become theirs, Spanish can be what is spoken, I see the THE UNITED STATES OF ESPONLOIA, laugh and say what you will, but remenber that there are about a Billion people south of our border and most would come if they could,,AND ALL THEY NEED IS A REASON TO BE HERE, A JOB AND SOME ONE TO HOUSE THEM....It is not going to be Me....

Your cheap labor, is going to be paid for by your grandkids,If you do not believe me, LOOK AT WHAT SLAVERY HAS DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY...

Latest posts