English Shepard

Help Support CattleToday:

When I moved to the farm in 1972 it seemed almost every neighbor had a dog of this type. When your dog came in heat she was visited by the dominant male shepherd of the neighborhood and he served to keep the line going. These were good all around farm dogs, left loose to guard the stock and home. They were slaves to routine and the farms that milked twice a day often had a dog that brought the cows in at the right time, on their own without bidding.
By the 1980s things were changing. More people worked off the farm. Australian Shepherds became a sort of fad and many of the old type were replaced by them. Then came the Border Collie. Highly trained, they were good dogs but not suited to the old ways of just letting them mind themselves and fit into a routine.
Over the years I have had good and bad dogs of all these types. I found the Border Collies a little too intense and prone to get in trouble with my own stock or the neighbors. Australian Shepherds were almost as bad.
My dog now is a mix of all three breeds, a neutered female. I keep her in a pen at night since I have a Great Pyrenees running loose at night and that keeps them from running together. She is a great dog who tries hard to please. She knows when I have my cane I am going to move cows and she is a natural heeler, always looking back to see what I want her to do. She is also great with the grand kids and follows their every move.

Yesterday I took Shirley to the building sight for my calf shed, she was scared of the ducks, the impact, saws, drill. other people and she kept running up to me for reassurance. I had to carry her yesterday from point A to point B. Today she came running out of the kennel to see me, she didn't think the ducks were winged killer's like yesterday, she just looked at me for reassurance. She walks beautifully on a short leash, she'd Never had even a collar on her, before I got her. She doesn't fight being tied up, when she tries to jump up on me I say down and she stops jumping around and sits. I think she's the smartest dog I've ever had! I know, I know. It's only been 3 days lol

I notice Shirley is a black & tan. There once was a breeder near here that only raised that kind and many preferred them.
My English Shepherds were sable with a white ring around their neck and a white tip on the tail. My grandfather only kept pups that had a dark colored roof to their mouth and a solid colored nose. He said they made the best stock dogs.

That's my crew. The one in front is my "retiree". She's my oldest, will be 10 in January. My male is the one laying down, and the other 2 are my "farmhands in training". The one standing behind my male, she got her leg broke by the tire you can almost see in the picture. She's fully healed now and has declared war on tires- as long as they're not moving.

Yesterday I took Shirley to the building sight for my calf shed, she was scared of the ducks, the impact, saws, drill. other people and she kept running up to me for reassurance. I had to carry her yesterday from point A to point B. Today she came running out of the kennel to see me, she didn't think the ducks were winged killer's like yesterday, she just looked at me for reassurance. She walks beautifully on a short leash, she'd Never had even a collar on her, before I got her. She doesn't fight being tied up, when she tries to jump up on me I say down and she stops jumping around and sits. I think she's the smartest dog I've ever had! I know, I know. It's only been 3 days lol
Sounds like she has hooked up with you.

Ken

Shirley is doing Great! She knows Come, Sit, Down, walk, Stay, Guard. Verbal and Hand signals, And she goes in to the chicken coop without bothering the chickens with me. She's showing smarts around Tractors and Car's. She's protective of me. She doesn't run around much, she pretty much stick's close to me, sometimes I wonder if she should have more energy, where. She's a puppy, She looks and acts healthy,.

That's great! They are very protective of "their family", which is not only you and your family, but also your critters. As far as energy goes, that is very dependent on the dog. My male never did really go through the playful puppy stage, but I've got a 3 1/2 year old that thinks she is still a puppy. And I've got a 1 1/2 year old that is 80% of the time, an "old soul" - she's just so happy laying in the yard watching over the farm, but the other 20% of the time, she just wants to play and be a brat!

My Shepherd herds bums away from me. Three times she has shown fang (on leash) to aggressive drug crazed bums advancing on me because I would not give them money. But she's a country dog. She likes to lie in a spot where she can see us, into the pastures as well and monitor the chickens at the same time. Its the darndest thing.

Shirley is doing Great! She knows Come, Sit, Down, walk, Stay, Guard. Verbal and Hand signals, And she goes in to the chicken coop without bothering the chickens with me. She's showing smarts around Tractors and Car's. She's protective of me. She doesn't run around much, she pretty much stick's close to me, sometimes I wonder if she should have more energy, where. She's a puppy, She looks and acts healthy,.
Happy for you, some of these dogs are serious from birth, glad she's bonding with you

Sounds like things are working out with the two of you. She will try you at some point when she gets more familiar with you just to see what she can get away with.

Latest posts