engine froze

Help Support CattleToday:

dansangus

Reaction score
Using my Allis d 17 to move hay bales last week. Had at low idle when the engine died. No unusual noise and this happens from time to time. When I tried to restart it ,you could hear the starter drive engage but unable to turn engine. Tried to turn over by hand,no luck. I then tried to pull tractor and pop the clutch to get the engine to turn over. No good. Tractor was running so good before this incident. My tractor mechanic thinks something let loose inside.Might cost up to 2 grand if he has to rebuild. Is there anything possible I could be over looking? I have heard of tractors freezing up after setting for long periods of time,but this a new one for me.

Had that happen once on a small Branson. Was running a bush hog and a stick broke the plastic radiator drain. Lost all coolant and I didn't know it. Was running fine until I slowed it down to leave, and it died and wouldn't start. Had someone tow me home and attempted to pull start it as well and that didn't work. The next morning it started up fine and while checking the fluids I noticed the coolant was gone. Filled it up, fixed the drain, and it's been fine since. The temp gauge Won't work if it's not submerged. So I'd let it cool off and try again.

Drain the oil and look for metal particles, fuel, and coolant. If it's full of fuel an injector may have stuck and hydrolocked, same goes with coolant, from the head gasket. If there's glitter in the oil something did let loose inside.

It could be,I say could be,the head gasket or cracked head leaked coolant into the cylinder, and caused it to hydro lock...you can pull the glow plugs ( if equipped ) or the injectors to see if it will turn over...you should have heard something turn loose...need to be careful trying to force it to turn,,you could bend a rod..

I should have noted it is a gas tractor. I will check the radiator to see if there is a coolant loss. Checked oil and was full. Also the rear seal has been leaking for some time.I keep a close eye on it and add oil when needed. Thanks Dan

dansangus":3vdvhdha said:
I should have noted it is a gas tractor. I will check the radiator to see if there is a coolant loss. Checked oil and was full. Also the rear seal has been leaking for some time.I keep a close eye on it and add oil when needed. Thanks Dan
Gas engines will hydro lock too... We had 3.8 GM cars that would be sitting at a red light and lock up tighter than a wedge. Intake would leak coolant in the cylinder and not budge a inche, till you pulled the plugs and spun it over