Energizer comparisons

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
Anybody every compare Stafix to Gallagher. And how about Cycllops by Taylor Grazing, are they any good. I have a couple Gallaghers, never had any problem with them but I also have a small 3 joule Stafix battery unit and I am real impressed with how much output that little charger has. I don't have a small Gallagher to compare it too. I noticed the Cyclops are alot cheaper for the joule but have not found any technical data for comparison. The Stafix are rated in output joule and the Gallaghers are rated in stored joule so I would think joule to joule the Stafix would be more powerful?.

We have a Gallagher B11 that runs on either a regualr battery or D cells. We only use it for a max of about a 1/4 mile run but it will still hit you at around 5500 volts

We've been using Stafix for about 20 years and have been very satisfied. We have had everything from the little SX solar unit up to the M36 w/ remote control.

The output joule rating on a Stafix compared to stored on Gallagher is about 20-30% higher. If you pay the same money for a 3j Stafix and a 3j Gallagher, you will be getting about 20-30% more pop for your dollar spent on the Stafix. Gallagher and O'Brien are the only major companies using the stored joule rating. Every other major energizer manufactures uses output joules.

Do you have one of x3 Stafix that can use either 110 plug in or 12v battery? That is a very handy feature.

jr

When comparing energizers, you have to compare apples to apples. Comparing "stored" to "output" is not the same thing. All energizers have "stored joules" whether they are easily found on the literature or not. An energizer will always have more Stored joules than output joules. If you are specifically comparing Gallagher to Stafix to O'briens, you have to consider the STORED joules of a Stafix to the STORED joules of a Gallagher to the STORED joules of an O'briens.

STORED MAXIMUM OUTPUT
STAFIX X2 2.7j 2.0j
GALLAGHER M300 3.0j 2.5j
O'BRIENS 26/20 2.6j 2.0j

STAFIX M6 10j 6j
GALLAHGER M1000 10j NO CLAIM
O'BRIENS 15/100 15j 10j

If you read the fine print on a Stafix box, you will find the STORED rating. Ouput joules are very hard to predict since the max output is relative to the load on the fence. Output can only be "estimated" witout knowing the particular load in each situation. Stored ratings are like comparing cubic inches of an engine. It is a constant factor. What makes an energizer "tick" is an extremely complex subject. Just keep in mind to compare apples to apples when looking at different manufacturers.

BTW, O'briens does give both a stored and output rating currently.

http://www.obrienplastics.com/energisers.aspx

At the end of the day, the main factor is to buy from a reputable manufacturer that has good customer service and warranty. Many farm stores are able to repair energizers at the store... this means a lot after a lightning storm.

by mack on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 pm
At the end of the day, the main factor is to buy from a reputable manufacturer that has good customer service and warranty. Many farm stores are able to repair energizers at the store... this means a lot after a lightning storm.[/quote]

i couldn't agree more
the hottest charger in the world doesn't do you any good when struck by lightning and the nearest repair station is 300 miles away

JRGidaho`":3ewgsau1 said:
We've been using Stafix for about 20 years and have been very satisfied. We have had everything from the little SX solar unit up to the M36 w/ remote control.

The output joule rating on a Stafix compared to stored on Gallagher is about 20-30% higher. If you pay the same money for a 3j Stafix and a 3j Gallagher, you will be getting about 20-30% more pop for your dollar spent on the Stafix. Gallagher and O'Brien are the only major companies using the stored joule rating. Every other major energizer manufactures uses output joules.

Do you have one of x3 Stafix that can use either 110 plug in or 12v battery? That is a very handy feature.

jr
thanks for the info. I do have one of the 3x models.

Latest posts