ENDOPHYTE

Help Support CattleToday:

angusdave63":inc01u2o said:
how long does it take the cows th straghten out after suffering the effects of the k 31. i have been culling, but wondered if they would still work on an alfalfa orchard grass pasture the next year. or if they would even breed back for the next year.
Don;t know for sure. When we have bought in some cows from non-fescue areas it takes about 2 years for them to start really looking good but have never done it the other way from fescue to non-fescue. 3wycross had some cows that he did it with, maybe he'll have a feel for the length of time. Some animals have more problems with it then others. The worst we've ever had is the general unthriftyness. But all of our pastures are well diluted and the is cut before the seeds get to headed out so that also decreases the toxicity. Toxic fescue takes more management then other grasses, that's a given, but once you figure it out and have cows adapted to it you'll have a much more forgiving pasture then any other type. The stuff is unbelievably forgiving of poor grazing management and still comes back strong. This farm was origianlly seeded with it around 75 years ago and the seed we use all comes from this farm.

thanks dun i understand the managment issues with the grass and i will just have to work with them

I have a 8 month old Holstein steer calf that after trying to correct all other potential problems with this calf I am led to believe that he may be subject to fescue toxicity. He is very unthrifty, somewhat shaggy but with a ferocius appetite. He has been wormed with ivamectin pour-on but still wants nothing to keep the weight on. I actually believe that he weighed more in spring before the fescue had a chance to set seed than he does now. It has not been until this summer that he had issues. What can be done to offset this problem? Is there a feed ration that can help or just time. Should I close him into one end of the barn and put stictly hay to him for awhile? Thanks for the help!
Matt

sassafras manor":2z5zot3x said:
I have a 8 month old Holstein steer calf that after trying to correct all other potential problems with this calf I am led to believe that he may be subject to fescue toxicity. He is very unthrifty, somewhat shaggy but with a ferocius appetite. He has been wormed with ivamectin pour-on but still wants nothing to keep the weight on. I actually believe that he weighed more in spring before the fescue had a chance to set seed than he does now. It has not been until this summer that he had issues. What can be done to offset this problem? Is there a feed ration that can help or just time. Should I close him into one end of the barn and put stictly hay to him for awhile? Thanks for the help!
Matt
If he is really sensitive to endophyte about all you can do is to remove him complelty from it and feed him hay. As I said I don;t know how long it takes to recover from it but the ongoing negative affects of him eating it every day should be eliminated fairly quickly once he's off of it.

i agree with dun remove him from the fescue asap then i would start him on hay and grain

Out of curiousity what if the hay is a fescue blend. I do not know for sure but I imagine the source I got it from would have had fescue in the field. I do not believe that there are seed heads in the hay but there is always that chance.

sassafras manor":3dm7qrja said:
Out of curiousity what if the hay is a fescue blend. I do not know for sure but I imagine the source I got it from would have had fescue in the field. I do not believe that there are seed heads in the hay but there is always that chance.
As long as the fescue is a small part of the hay it should be OK. Probably bermuda hay would be better