End of hay season baler maintenance

Help Support CattleToday:

High Cotton

Reaction score
What do you at the end of the season before you put the baler away for the year. I'm thinking of blowing off as much dust as possible then taking the pressure washer to it. Then grease and oil everything. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Also am I messing up by washing it? Some people make a big deal about keeping a baler inside when not in use. This is mainly because of the belts dry rotting correct?
Randy

I'd steer clear of a direct hit on any sealed bearings with the pressure washer.

Belts, tires, bearing seals, paint, etc all benefit from being stored inside vs out in the elements.

I'd also pay particular attention to belt lacings and repair or replace as necessary.

Do as you said BUT after greasing and oiling everything let the baler sit and run for 15 minutes or so that way if any water gets inside a seal bearing it will dissipate from the heat of running the baler

Any piece of equipment that can be kept indoors will benefit if only cosmetically

TennesseeTuxedo":21rvoaa7 said:
What about washing one as you would a car hayray?

I'm a bit OCD and like everything clean and tidy.

Your washing the "skin" of a car...not blasting grit and grime into bearing and moving parts...... ;-)

hayray":1e8xkp8t said:
I never pressure wash any of my balers. Blow dust off and others gave good advice.

I all so spray the pickup real with used oil to keep any rust at bay

Never power washed our square baler. Blew off with air. Light mist with oil or old used spray cans of paint on pickup, bale throat. Just to keep surface rust at bay. Parked inside or covered with tarp in the field during baling even just to keep dew off. Sold our hay equipment years ago. Everything in pasture and buy what hay we need for winter as well as taking first cutting off of pastures by the guy we buy from.

I wouldn't use water, especially a pressure washer, to clean it. I would would blow and sweep and perhaps vacuum off any dirt or dust. If you want to get it a little cleaner, may some rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits on a rag and wipe it down. That should evaporate quickly without getting into any bearings. I usually oil it and get an oily rag and rub down the metal to protect over the winter from rusting.

Latest posts