end of an era ......

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2017/p ... a-georgia/

there another large dairy turned beef cattle op here in town. used to be so far out nobody went there..now its surrounded by development.
the Musgrave dairy was owned by roger who still is on that farm. I bought all my land from roger..he attended my wifes funeral. old school rancher dairy guy. very religious.

his 2 stepsons moved his dairy north also...stayed in fl tho. he will saty there til he cant..late 70s and ya still see him putting out hay and painting that old board fence.

guess theyre gonna phase out milk someday huh?

It's sad reading things like that. I'm glad they did well with the sale, but money can't replace family memories

Used to be a lot of dairies in the north eastern part of Ky. Can't remember exact numbers or years quoted, but was something over 200 dairies in Fleming County not long ago, as of a couple years ago there were 12 left. None in this county, could count on one hand with fingers left over the ones that were in operation when I was growing up.

Our family down the road, who had been in the dairy industry for 30 plus years, sold all their cows a few weeks ago and shut down. They just could not operate with the low milk prices. They had a herd of about 100 cows, so average for Missouri. Many are going out around here, just not big enough to compete with the current prices.
I drove by the place today, it looks like they have about 10 beef cows now. They have all worked on the farm their entire lives, so now they have to find regular jobs. Not an easy task when your resume only includes running your own dairy.

It is sad but true all over. People don't drink like they used to. According to the USDA the average person today only consumes 18 gallon of milk per year compared with more than 30 gallon in the 70's. With other drinks today being fortified with calcium and vitamin D. There are the energy sports drinks and then the plant based drinks have seen a 250 increase in consumption the last 5 years.

Part of the problem is that companies are promoting these plant based products as milk, deliberately marketing their products as a substitute for cows milk.

On a bright side, cheese and yogurt consumption is up.

This is not just a problem here in the US but in other countries around the world.

In 20 years there'll suddenly be a study that shows nut milk is bad for you, somehow, and cows milk will make a comeback.. but not before every family operation is out of business... sadly.

Looked at the sales sheet for the sales at Sulphur Springs Livestock Auction. Only 127 head of Diary stock. Years back they might have had a thousand or so.

Nesikep":3fk4vkbs said:
Sky just needs to up his milk consumption by 10%
:lol: I was just thinking yesterday that I need to thank sky next time he posts a dish with a ton of cheese! I'm pretty sure he single handedly keeps me employed

was a dairy down the road from me in fleming co.. shut down right after i moved there..

buddy of mine has a diary and they are transitioning to beef cattle. said they are milking for free..

he said they discount them because they only have enough for 1 pickup.. where these big guys get it picked up 3-4 times a day so they get some type of premium..

its just a lifestyle going away..factory farms run by day labors isn't the same..yeah its milk I guess but the way of it isn't ...
never see new ones

all that artificial crap isn't milk..they call it that but milk comes from a cow..not a dang tree

dieselbeef":2ve1zflj said:
its just a lifestyle going away..factory farms run by day labors isn't the same..yeah its milk I guess but the way of it isn't ...
never see new ones

all that artificial crap isn't milk..they call it that but milk comes from a cow..not a dang tree
Government regulations have probably had as big a negative affect on dairying as anything. Add to this very poor management decisions many times and yes they go out of business. High milk prices always attract new people who think the prices will last forever....they are usually the first to go followed by those who insist on doing it like we always have done it while hiring everything done while they sit in the coffee shop and BS about how much money they're making. Those that have survived have been very good managers, unafraid to try new things, use products that will make them money and willing to work hard. The rest give the entire industry a black eye and need to be shutting the doors.

Still several operations of all sizes. Within 5 miles of my house is one milking 20 and one milking 1600. With many in between. I can thank of one to be honest with you I would not knowingly drink milk from. I understand the dislike of big farms. But can honestly see both sides. All aspects of farming in my neighborhood have became hard to operate fulltime on a small scale. Been through this dilemma personally.

I feel mostly like regulations and encroachment are the 2 biggest factors tho..

people just don't wanna deal with the kind of things that it really takes to produce food..they really don't. the pollution/smell/amount of land/animal treatment.

it unreal how people treat dogs and cats and if they seen us rope a calf to tag and castrate much less hot brand it..omg Id have the sherriff out here for real

dieselbeef":3mxnxnf6 said:
I feel mostly like regulations and encroachment are the 2 biggest factors tho..

people just don't wanna deal with the kind of things that it really takes to produce food..they really don't. the pollution/smell/amount of land/animal treatment.

it unreal how people treat dogs and cats and if they seen us rope a calf to tag and castrate much less hot brand it..omg Id have the sherriff out here for real

I was told, today, by a new neighbor (new housing development in the "neighborhood") that it is cruel and mean for me to "sit on a calf" to tag and band it, and it is cruel to put a tag in their ear. I was also informed that using a head-gate is inhumane, and "restraining" cows is wrong. :roll: I calmly tried to inform them that the calf deal wasn't much different from their dog being held down/restrained for vaccines and exams. Also tried to explain the head-gate. As for the ear tags, I asked them about THEIR OWN pierced ears, and made the comparison. :roll:

Latest posts