Employment just caring for calves

Help Support CattleToday:

anniecowgirl

Reaction score
I used to raise White Faced Herefords from babies up to about 300-400lbs for fun and a little profit.

I have considered starting a business just to be available to take care of calves for farmers. Would there be a need for this?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Annie

i wouldnt think so. most farmers either do it themselves, have a kid do it, sell the calf, or knock it in the head.

now some dairies have positions for calf caretakers..

I have spoke to a few farmers one of them has a large longhorn ranch and his wife and daughters take care of all the calve babies. He says the cows in general do much better when raised around women. (If the woman is gentle spirited).

What do you think??

I give you a job tomorrow morning
I am willing to pay you good money
What are your conditions

Marcel

On a dairy farm it is very important to have someone who is dedicated and pays attention to detail raising the calves. For that reason women usually do the best job.

anniecowgirl":3c3s3keh said:
I used to raise White Faced Herefords from babies up to about 300-400lbs for fun and a little profit.

I have considered starting a business just to be available to take care of calves for farmers. Would there be a need for this?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Annie

I don't know about dairies, but for beef cattle - highly unlikely.

There aer farms that specialize in raising dairy heifrs. It's usually a contract deal with a number of dairys and raise them and return them to the dairy as anything from yearlings to springers.

dun

It's quite the business around here. Local guy raises maybe 200 calves for the big dairies and their springers as well. I know of a couple that do it on a smaller scale as well.

rkm":33q1ws0v said:
On a dairy farm it is very important to have someone who is dedicated and pays attention to detail raising the calves. For that reason women usually do the best job.

Im not even going to touch this; it would be just to easy :roll: :roll: :roll:

To Marcel...

What would a farmer be willing to pay someone to care for the calves?

Thanks
Annie

anniecowgirl":1zsn15cj said:
To Marcel...

What would a farmer be willing to pay someone to care for the calves?

Thanks
Annie

All depend of your knowledge and the result you get.

Latest posts