Emissions Tax for Livestock

Help Support CattleToday:

TB-Herefords

Reaction score
Was talkin with some friends last night and they said they were watching a show about a new law tring to be passed that would charge an emission tax on livestock. Supposed to be 120 per head for dairy; 80 per head for beef cattle; and 20 a head for hogs. Has anyone heard of this? I looked it up and read a little about SD having it come up but not much else.

This thread came up once before. As of this moment there no bill has been introduced to do this; however, the EPA DID consider this and did studies on it but it never left the drawing board. What is happening is Cap and Trade or Cap and Tax as I call it. I would be surprised if this doesn't go through cause there are so many people who are too naive to see this as a tax and there are so many people who stand to make huge amounts of money off this. Both Hillary and The Big O promised thousands of "green collar" jobs. This will be the beginning. Since China and many other countries are not going to do this, this will again give them a competitive edge in creating meaningful jobs while we sit at our laptops accounting for carbon molecules. If this idea hadn't come from DC, it would make no sense at all.

Joe those carbon credits will be the hottest thing on the market since crack cocaine. Wonder how the "initial distribution" will be made and what a person can do to increase his allocation ?? Bet they're printing those ration books right now.

TexasBred":3u7jgutl said:
Joe those carbon credits will be the hottest thing on the market since crack cocaine. Wonder how the "initial distribution" will be made and what a person can do to increase his allocation ?? Bet they're printing those ration books right now.

If you hire one person, you get 1M credits. If you raise cattle and hire one person, you owe 1M credits. (Just kidding)

HS, how many credits will I get for having a billion trees growing in the fence rows. I know for a fact we have more trees on our place that Obama's Chicago house does.

HerefordSire":2b7a35k9 said:
TexasBred":2b7a35k9 said:

If you hire one person, you get 1M credits. If you raise cattle and hire one person, you owe 1M credits. (Just kidding)

hmm....HF...wonder what a donation to Al Gore's Foundation would get a guy??

TexasBred":86uwgn9c said:

I don't know for sure how they will be allocated but I think I have a pretty good idea. Am pretty sure China and Southeast Asia will be printing credits about as fast as our Treasury Dept can print money.

CPL":2ynz4wf0 said:
HS, how many credits will I get for having a billion trees growing in the fence rows. I know for a fact we have more trees on our place that Obama's Chicago house does.

Good question. One would think credits should be allocated to carbon reducing assets and or actions. The quantity of trees would not be as accurate as the rate of carbon removal which is probably species specific. According to Joe, the carbon removal rate decreases with age after a minimum age.

Just guessing, I would say zero unless you are a corporation.

TexasBred":k46d2n4g said:
HerefordSire":k46d2n4g said:
TexasBred":k46d2n4g said:

hmm....HF...wonder what a donation to Al Gore's Foundation would get a guy??

You might get a discount fare on his private jet if you pay for his carbon debits and fuel consumption associated with the trip if your destination happens to fly over Tennessee where it could land in Nashville long enough for one of his limos to pick him up to take him to one of his mansions. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":iwoqnsr8 said:
CPL":iwoqnsr8 said:

Good question. One would think credits should be allocated to carbon reducing assets and or actions. The quantity of trees would not be as accurate as the rate of carbon removal which is probably species specific. According to Joe, the carbon removal rate decreases with age after a minimum age.

Species does play a role as does age stocking and other variables but they can be calculated rather accurately. But what about the shrubs around your house, your pastures? All these things sequester carbon. Making people pay more for their power or goods just so they can pay someone to fill out a form to say this carbon is going into the boxwoods at the front of your house is ridiculus.

I recently read some information on the new era of timber growing and the "expert" suggested us changing our contracts so the wording would read "we retain the carbon rights" . I guess I'll be needing to hire 50 accountants to make a paper trail on each board cut and where it goes and whose house it goes into. And then, I guess I'll need to put a carbon lien on the house to be sure the owner doesn't sell the house without my permission.

Is it just me or is this stuff just total nonsense. :???:

Jogeephus":oeillwv4 said:
HerefordSire":oeillwv4 said:
CPL":oeillwv4 said:

Species does play a role as does age stocking and other variables but they can be calculated rather accurately. But what about the shrubs around your house, your pastures? All these things sequester carbon. Making people pay more for their power or goods just so they can pay someone to fill out a form to say this carbon is going into the boxwoods at the front of your house is ridiculus.

I recently read some information on the new era of timber growing and the "expert" suggested us changing our contracts so the wording would read "we retain the carbon rights" . I guess I'll be needing to hire 50 accountants to make a paper trail on each board cut and where it goes and whose house it goes into. And then, I guess I'll need to put a carbon lien on the house to be sure the owner doesn't sell the house without my permission.

Is it just me or is this stuff just total nonsense. :???:

It is nonsense because it is being implemented based upon the theory of man-made global warming. I have the opinion that global warming is occuring as the result of normal cycles. You know what will happen regardless of what man does, is the opposite because of ocean water movement. Cold water drops and flows south (towards the equater if in the northern hemispere), and warm water rises and flows north (away from the equater if in the northern hemisphere). These ocean currents could interfere or cause disruptions of weather patterns such as rain and drought, etc. I am expecting a mini-ice age to begin in the next 100 years.

Personally I'm all for global warming! It is so darned cold up here in Alberta this year that it isn't funny.
I suspect the cap and trade deal, in both America and Canada, will be nothing more than another tax? Some one will make billions but I very much doubt it will be the peasants down on the farm!
If the "experts" want to end livestock production in Canada and the USA, no better way than put a carbon tax on livestock? After all the old profit picture on cattle and hogs isn't so rosy that we can afford to pay another huge tax? I guess the people should get used to eating that old Zebu stuff from Brazil.

I can't find the link, but didn't NASA just recently admit global warming was NOT man made, but the result of solar cycles?

jcummins":2sixsz1s said:
I can't find the link, but didn't NASA just recently admit global warming was NOT man made, but the result of solar cycles?

I don't think NASA ever admitted anything since what I have read is that NASA data has always contradicted this. For instance, NASA proved that the ice caps on Mars are melting due to the solar cycle like you point out. WE have nothing to do with Mars but this doesn't stop them from fear mongering.

If its fear mongering they want, look at what's going to happen in 2012. Earth sun moon and other asteral bodies will line up in perfect allignment to the solar equator just as the ancient Chinese, Myan's and others predicted. When this happens, it could cause a polar shift in the earths magnetism. This would be devasting to earth. Or look at the meteors and asteroids. Heck, we almost got zapped by one 3 months ago that would have cause major problems on earth.

Herefordshire wrote:
It is nonsense because it is being implemented based upon the theory of man-made global warming. I have the opinion that global warming is occuring as the result of normal cycles. You know what will happen regardless of what man does, is the opposite because of ocean water movement. Cold water drops and flows south (towards the equater if in the northern hemispere), and warm water rises and flows north (away from the equater if in the northern hemisphere). These ocean currents could interfere or cause disruptions of weather patterns such as rain and drought, etc. I am expecting a mini-ice age to begin in the next 100 years.

There is a lot of data that validates what you say. I think it is interesting that data also suggests that we have already experienced global warming and that the Garden of Edan is located under the Persian Gulf. The Bible speaks of 4 rivers leading into the garden but there are only 2 in that area. But with satalite imagery they have located two others that used to be there. These all meet under the Persian Gulf where at one time this was a lush environment that supported all sorts of vegetation but when the first global warming came the glaciers melted and flooded this region. There are several written accounts of this other than just the Bible.

Unfortunately, non of this type information gets any air time. I guess there just isn't any money in it. Like Hillary pointed out, keep the sheep scared and they will flock to the sheppard. Afterall, we are just sheeple in her eyes.

But it really doesn't matter cause there is only ONE who knows when the day will come and that day will come like a thief in the night.

Jogeephus":1acinrtw said:
There is a lot of data that validates what you say. I think it is interesting that data also suggests that we have already experienced global warming and that the Garden of Edan is located under the Persian Gulf. The Bible speaks of 4 rivers leading into the garden but there are only 2 in that area. But with satalite imagery they have located two others that used to be there. These all meet under the Persian Gulf where at one time this was a lush environment that supported all sorts of vegetation but when the first global warming came the glaciers melted and flooded this region. There are several written accounts of this other than just the Bible.

Was that the program where they were talking about crossing the Reed Sea instead of the Red sea?

HerefordSire":238am3o8 said:
Jogeephus":238am3o8 said:

Was that the program where they were talking about crossing the Reed Sea instead of the Red sea?

:???: You lost me on that one. :oops:

Jogeephus":1bwlio4z said:
HerefordSire":1bwlio4z said:
Jogeephus":1bwlio4z said:

:???: You lost me on that one. :oops:

The show was on the history channel I think. It was talking about Moses traveling over the Reed Sea instead of the Red Sea. Anyway, the show discussed several sub-topics like you discussed above. It must have been a very similar show.

Latest posts