EMERGENCY! Problem with tube feeding calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

chexmix

Reaction score
i have this 3 1/2 week old angus calf who i'm still tube feeding. Yes, I have tried to force him, work his jaws, he won't take it.

Other than that, he's doing pretty good. He's a little lethargic and lazy, but he's eating more hay and grain every day. His scours is improving.
But about a week or two ago, at every feeding (2 a day) be began to spit up a little milk. Even with his head high, a little would come up and run out of his mouth. Now, this had never happened with other calves I have tube fed.

So, last night I went out to feed him. I inserted the tube and after 10 minutes, he had not drank any milk. The only thing that had happened was grass came up from his stomach (rumen I guess) and into the tube. He spit up a little bit of grass/milk onto the ground too. So i gave up because he wasn't drinking any and pulled the tube out. i mean, what else could i do? If i squeezed the bottle, he would spit more out. this hasn't happened until now.

So, what I don't understand is how grass is coming up with the milk. i mean, grass, hay and grain goes into a cow's rumen, and milk is supposed to go into the next stomach. So I have no idea how to fix this problem.

This morning I went to feed him and he did the exact same thing... he wouldn't keep down any milk, just grass would come up.
i've offered him a bucket of milk but he has no interest at all. He will only drink a little water from a bucket.
So, i really need some advice. what could be wrong with his stomach? Please help...He needs milk soon.

chexmix":h5midkk4 said:
i
So, last night I went out to feed him. I inserted the tube and after 10 minutes, he had not drank any milk. .

You had a tube in for 10 min.???
Once the tube is in It doesn't take 10 sec. to tube feed .

He!! I can't hold a calf for 10 min . with a tube in . :D :D

I must be getting old . :(

How much and how often are you tubing this calf?

Alice

Are you giving him any electrolytes ? If he will eat and drink water,I wouldn't worry about the milk. Just make sure you keep him hydrated. If you have to tube him for that do it. But you can add some to his water that he drinks.
I've never had one that stuff would come up the tube.
I would go ahead an call a vet,just to make sure nothing else is wrong with him.

Latest posts