embryos

Help Support CattleToday:

ND

Reaction score
i saw some embryos for sale for $150-200. Is this the normal cost for frozen embryos? How many $ is involved in placing them in the recips?
thanks

ND":2d2yo0up said:
i saw some embryos for sale for $150-200. Is this the normal cost for frozen embryos? How many $ is involved in placing them in the recips?
thanks

i would say that price is near the cost of harvesting them.

if you have a good technician within a reasonable radius, you should be able to get them put in for $40-$100 per recip according to how many recips you have, if the tech is doing anything else, and how far they have to come.

What kind of embryos are you looking at? Another method of buying embryos is buying pregnant recips. This way can usually be cheaper in the long run as far as vet charges.

Beef11":2r7kxzaz said:
What kind of embryos are you looking at? Another method of buying embryos is buying pregnant recips. This way can usually be cheaper in the long run as far as vet charges.
it also guarantees that the embryos stuck.

As far as embryo costs go $50 is about the bottom and $500 is approaching the high end but they go way higher, not typically though.

thanks for the info- not really seriously looking, now.
just exploring my options to increase the value of my calf crop.

Say you pay $200 for an embryo, $100 to get it put into a recip, shots to get the recip ready, maintenance on the receip for almost a year while gestating, then two years before she has a calf (if it's a heifer). That's a long time to some sort of payback on your investment. Sometimes the sexed heifer embryos will cost more than bulls and most of them don't guarantee sex. I'd say unless you are looking for specific genetics, you might be better off to buy a good bred heifer.

I'd rather buy a 10+ year old cow from a reputable breeder than an embryo and a recip dam. That old cow is proven. Heck, she may last another few years.

That embryo could very well be out of an unproven heifer or a cow that has only had 1 or 2 natural calves. Just because someone says she is a great cow doesn't mean that she is. Even if her offspring average $10,000+ or whatever.

When you get into ET it is a numbers and promotion game. If you don't have the money to play, you really don't have much reason to be buying high priced embryos.

ND":1t0qk1wm said:
thanks
Well, I have bought embryos tha tcost more than $500.00/embryo. Also, it cost here in Virginia $200.00 to put embryos in. Flushing, buying embryos, and transplanting embryos into recips is a very costly industry. :cboy:

Be careful of the type of freezing method the used. Some of the old methods are costly to have them thawed and put in.