embryo transplants

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
I recently went to a sale where some embyro transplants were sold. How does this work? Do they supply the cow to transplant into or does the buyer. Also what is meant by heifer pregnancy when dealing with transplants?
Thanks

blacksnake":2vrssqi9 said:
I recently went to a sale where some embyro transplants were sold. How does this work? Do they supply the cow to transplant into or does the buyer. Also what is meant by heifer pregnancy when dealing with transplants?
Thanks
If you buy the embryo you furnish the receipt cow.
A heifer pregnancy means that the receipt cow is carrying a heifer.
The embryo was sexed before transplanting.

la4 angus.....................If you buy the embryo you furnish the receipt cow.

Question does an embryo have to be sexed , before going into storage. :)

frenchie":22jk9j59 said:
la4 angus.....................If you buy the embryo you furnish the receipt cow.

Question does an embryo have to be sexed , before going into storage. :)

No.

Thanks for the info. How about some more. What is the difference between "direct thaw" and "three step in reagrds to embyros.
Thanks for all the information

Direct thaw embryo's are thawed like semen . They are frozen in antifreeze I think ethyline glycol (sp) Three step embryo's are frozen in calf serum or something like that. They have to be thawed washed in a petree dish , sucked back up in a 1/8th cc straw then implanted. The advantages of a direct thaw embryo is it is more convient but if left thawed and inside the straw it can be harmful to the embryo in less than a few minutes. The three step embryos can be left thawed for a longer period of time so if you are having trouble getting the transfer gun through the cervix or if the cow gets stupid in the chute or such you don't do damage to the embryo. All of this is from memory and could be wrong but is generaly correct I think.

Latest posts