Embryo Transfer

Help Support CattleToday:

Utilizing ET is not too difficult if you hire the services of a trained ET professional for flushing and embryo transfer. The most difficult part for the cattle owner in that scenario is following a synchronization protocol for the recips. Their are classes available that teach donor/recip management, flushing, freezing and embryo transfer. But learning to do it yourself is not economically practical unless you plan to use the technique extensively. Not only are the classes pricey but you will need a lot of expense equipment - microscope, incubator/freezer, various media, plastic ware, etc.

I do a little ET work for my own cattle, maybe once a month or so, with reasonable success. But I am sure that someone who does it everyday would have a higher effciency rate than I do.

I live in Michigan; however I have an embryologist in Lima, OH that I have been using for years. There are closer ones, but not as good (in my opinion). I let him handle the flushes and tranfers as well. If you want his info, let me know.

ET can be pretty complicated, and unless it is something you are really interested in doing professionally it is best to get a technician to do it for you. It is a good tool to use but can get expensive.

We did our first ET's last year. We hired someone to do it, he is known as being one of the best. I would never try to do it myself. Embryos are pretty pricey and you want the best conception possible for the money it is costing you. Most breeders will guarantee 2 out of 3 pregnancies - if put in by a tech. That is one reason to hire out. The second reason is that you probably will not do enough of them to actually get really great at it. It is far harder than AI'ing.
Even if you do hire out you can do a lot to increase conception rates. Cows need to be in good shape, good nutrition, quiet disposition, the program to get them ready is extensive and the closer you get on time witn shots the better. Age can be a factor - a young cow who comes first heat every time is good, don't use cows getting pregnant with their second calf. Using # 1 embryos also will improve conception of course.
We did four cows last year. All of them were very quiet and easy to handle. The shots were given exactly on time (within literally 2 minutes). The guy we use is great and we got four out of four pregnancies. I am told this is unusual. One cow died in December from pneumonia but the other three calved out healthy embryo transplant calves.

Search for a great tech and follow their instructions exactly is my advice.

We are doing embryo transfer this year. We are using the same guy that does it for Three Trees Ranch. PM me if you are in Tennessee and want the information I will pm it to you.

LoveMoo11":2641pqjt said:
ET can be pretty complicated, and unless it is something you are really interested in doing professionally it is best to get a technician to do it for you. It is a good tool to use but can get expensive.

75 dollars a cow to implant? How is that expensive?

We raise Simmentals - which are known as "fertile myrtles" and I don't think I have ever seen anyone guaranteeing 2 pregnancies with the sale of 3 embryos. Generally, it's 1 with 3 "if you use a certified embryologist".
A 50% conception rate is probably standard using frozen embryos.
It is a costly process even if you are just looking at buying & implanting embryos. Cost of frozen embryos, cost of embryologist, cost of recips, and loss of time on the 50% that have to be bred on the next cycle.

Latest posts