Embryo Pricing???

Help Support CattleToday:

lms0229

Reaction score
Trying to understand the market better. What makes the difference in a $500 embryo vs a $1500 embryo? My Vet told me some Brahman embryos go for $1500 per embryo. I could see if it was to increase marbling and was in the top 1% or if they were a rare breed and wasn't very many or at the very least not very many of a particular bloodline, but he said that wasn't the case. Can someone explain to me what makes a $1500 Brahman embryo better than a $500 embryo?

lms0229 said:
Trying to understand the market better. What makes the difference in a $500 embryo vs a $1500 embryo? My Vet told me some Brahman embryos go for $1500 per embryo. I could see if it was to increase marbling and was in the top 1% or if they were a rare breed and wasn't very many or at the very least not very many of a particular bloodline, but he said that wasn't the case. Can someone explain to me what makes a $1500 Brahman embryo better than a $500 embryo?

I expect it has to do with pedigree, EPDs, name recognition, reputation etc...

I can't see myself paying that kind of money for an embryo. Too much risk for me. I've actually never seen any priced that high. $100 - $200 is the highest I've seen at sales.

Brahma cattle prices are a thing of their own. I personally don't know why they price the way they do. If you look at semen for Brahma bulls, it makes "rare" Angus semen look cheap. Just take a look through V8's set of bulls on their website and see what kind of prices you have to pay to get their semen. I suppose it just comes back to supply and demand. V8 for example is one of the elite Brahma breeders.

For Angus, a lot of less marketed or normal embryos go $150-$400. Good proven donor cows at reputable place are $400-$800. If you own a cow like Baldridge Isabel Y69, Sitz Henrietta Pride 643T, etc. that are recognized around the country, then who knows what embryos from them cost. This is just my personal opinion on sales I watch and embryos we have bought.

The money hole on embryos are recips in my opinion. A good set of recips can make or break a good embryo program.

I would be doing a happy dance if I could buy embryos at 100 to 200 per egg. But when I buy I am wanting to add a certain genetic out of a proven female we usually buy 4 eggs with a guarantee that we will get 50% conception if put in by a licensed embryologist. Not trying to start a breed war with this comment but I only purchase Angus embryos so maybe other breeds cost less. We also do quite a bit of flushing and from our experience I would say selling eggs at 100 to 200 they are not making any money. Flushing is not cheap.

Gizmom

Latest posts