Embers new to board

Help Support CattleToday:

Embers

Reaction score
I am a married (48 years) 69 year old retired male about half way between Garner and Benson NC in Johnston County. Keep small herd of cattle: Have reduced longhorn cattle from 20 brood cows to just 3 females, and then have 11 Belted Galloway. Currently buy all my hay. Bought all registered stock to start with so wouldn't have lot of surprises with my closed commercial herd. Both breeds have been easy calving not had to assist with any calves being born. Cows are my hobby and pasture candy to look at.

Not far away from the half century mark on the marriage thing. Congrats on that.

Welcome, how long have you had the belties? I dabbled with them for a few years and had to move on

Welcome, how long have you had the belties? I dabbled with them for a few years and had to move on
Started with registered Longhorns after retirement. Gradually cut numbers back when grandkids started coming to play with cows . Bought few Registered Belties about 6 years ago. Used longhorn bull on them. This cross actually was the best. Longhorns are good mothers BeltedDams nocked horns off. Same way when used Belted Bul on longhorn cows. Gradually cutting back now only have 3 longhorn Dams and only one registered. Now going to start thinning out my original belties and keep A few off their calves that will be weaning calves themselves this year. Culled heifers really hard only kept 5 out of 5 calfings. Selecting for disposition, ease of maintaining, size(800-1000) pound cows, weaning live calf each year and calving at least every 365 days. Private treaty sales of bulls, heifers at weaning. Limited sales of grass fed 2 year bulls for others to process. Not very popular breed for sale barn. No expansion of herd for sure. Not too hard on pasture but would not recommend them for profit if take to sale barn as a plan for calves.

Latest posts