email scam or legit?

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has gotten an email from [email protected]

They contacted our ranch about purchasing several units of semen and claim to be sending $$$ (over the amount charged) . No name listed, has a Washington phone #.

Anyone know? I am leaning towards it being a scam.

Thanks

If they are asking you to mail them the difference it is an old scam. But to give them the benefit of doubt, if you receive a check, deposit it and don't do anything until your bank says the check has safely cleared their bank. Then wait a little longer, check again. Then mail them a cashiers check - something without your routing number on it.

If they call pushing you for something, tell them you are not the person who handles the accounts but if they would give you a name and number you will have that person call them when they can.

I'd presume it's a scam... if they've got enough money to send you a check for more than they're supposed to, then they can just write a check for the exact amount. 'Tis only logical to me, anyway. :p

ya i got some of those before about buying animals not semen though for me you just have to read the wording the ones I always see have similar wording such as last asking amount, send me your full name, address, and they usaly dont want to give a # one did it was a vegas # I just tryed scaring him/her by saying I reported it to the FBI and they never wrote me again

MM's right. I suggested your not sending them a check with your routing number on it so as to protect you. However, I did not think about the fact they could be using a stolen routing number on their check in which case the check would clear a bank until the poor sole whose stolen routing number they used caught on and then it would come back on you. This could take a great deal of time and they would be long gone.

Go with your gut. Its a shame you can't trust people.

IT's a scam I got 1 from them on my rott. puppies cashsher check had phony tracking #,BEWARE!

braunvieh":zq7h38xi said:
Was wondering if anyone has gotten an email from [email protected]

They contacted our ranch about purchasing several units of semen and claim to be sending $$$ (over the amount charged) . No name listed, has a Washington phone #.

Anyone know? I am leaning towards it being a scam.

Thanks

THIS IS A SCAM!!

This type of offer (from numerous bogus emails, sources) has been going on for months and/or several years. Publicised in news media, newspapers, messageboards, etc.

Anyone offering to send MORE money than you are asking is a SCAM, probably foreign based. Another form is to ask you "What is your best selling price" (usually on an already published price for an item), along with a foreign name with no return address, etc.). Then, there are all of those who want to "Share" millions of dollars with you if you do something for them...(these are usually Nigerian, Lagos, etc. names) and the emails are written in such a way that NO American would use those words or phrases in a communication, including misspelled words....

We usually get 10-15 of these bogus emails every day in our inbox...even when we set up "message rules" on our incoming messages they still seem to circumvent and get thru. The rest seem to be investment pleas, "enhancement" ads, etc., etc.

Just about to wear our my DELETE key on computer! LOL!!

Look up the FBI website, and they send a newsletter. They are wanting people to send them the info. and are trying to bust up some of this stuff. More power to the FBI.

tryinhard

There is another one, which in the letter states that you did not show up for jury duty and a warantt has been issued for your arrest. They say that if you give them some information, they can get the warantt taken care of. There are many different types of these scams. Do not cash the check, or send them money, just contact your Sheriff or local law enforcement. When we get calls into the office about these, I forward them all to the state attorney general. Ours has busted several of these up.

I received one of these today. I was first contacted last week about my ad. I replied with the price and photos, and they replied back. Here it is:

Thanks for those lovely pics.I am very okay with the price.I am ready to make payment out to you now.
I will instruct my client who owes me( $6000 ) to make payment out to you .
I will need your

Full name:......................
Address:.........................
And tel :...........................

Once you receive payment,you have it cashed at your bank,keep ($ 2500 ) for yourself and have the remit of( $3500 ) sent to my shipper who will then arrange for an inspection and pick up.Please do accept my method of payment.

I await your reply soonest so i can forward it to him soonest.
Thank you and God bless

Alan Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
The price is $2500.00 as was stated in the ad. Any more questions, please
call at 314-607-1076.

>From: Cattle Today
>Reply-To: [email protected]
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: You have a message about Ad ID: 11944
>Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:53:59 -0500
>
>You have been sent the following message:
>
>------------------------------------
>Subject :
>very interested
>Message :
>Greetrings,
> I am very interested in your (-Gertrudis Bull ) Please send me some
>pictures and last price [email protected]
>Thank you and God bless.
>
>
>
>
>Best regards,
>
>Cattle Today
>http://agads.net/
>
>p.s.- Watch Out for Scams! If somebody offers to send
>you a Cashiers Check for more than your selling price
>and wants you to send the difference to sombody... DON'T!!
>It's a SCAM and the Cashiers Check is a fake.
>You have been warned!
>

NOTE: See the last section from Cattle Today? Hmmmm...

Thanks for the info, my email was very similar and actually we did get a cashiers check in the mail from them for over the amount. It looked legit except the name and dollar amount were hand written and I am pretty sure on cashiers checks they are dont electronically like the rest of the info was ont he check. We told them we were reporting them.

SCAMS, SCAMS!!

Don't even bother to reply to those people! Don't give them any more "fuel" (your information) with which to use on you.

After you receive a bunch of those bogus emails, one should be able to detect the language, style of writing, spelling, etc., that is NOT in common use with law-abiding Americans, regardless of their (USA) level of education, etc.

Use the time-honored response...DELETE MESSAGE... and, report it to the authorities as appropriate.

Hey! Does ANYONE use the salutation "Dear Sir/Madam" anymore in modern USA usage??? Or "My Good Friend" from an unknown emailer??

Ya know, this is a scam. It sounds like some people need a good firewall and e-mail protection. I don't know if I should reccomend this on the boards but I use EZ Firewal and E-Mail protection. On the E-Mail side of this program, you can designate who you can RECEIVE e-mail from. The rest goes to a Qurantine Bin so you can see whats junk and whats not. If you see something in the qurantine bin that you think you should receive mail from, they give you the option of checking a box and then it will show up in your inbox.

Here's a link:

http://www.ca.com

Check it out and read to see if it would work right for you.

Dick

Latest posts