Ellie May or Vicky the Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

:help: :help: I have just aquired a two or three day old boar goat kid. I'm told it hasnt had any colostrum yet and it has only had cows milk. How long can it survive without colostrum, can I give it cows colostrum or does it need goats? Also the same with the milk, can it survive on cows milk? Someone told me you can make an artificial colostrum from milk and egg yolk and some other bits and pieces. Does anyone have the recipe? Im pretty attatched to this little goat and I am willing to do anything to keep it alive.

Every animal needs colostrum (especially ruminants) for a healthy start. I'd find out what level of antibodies the kid has (via a simple blood test) then supplement INTRAVENOUSLY if it's required. You cannot supplement orally with any success now. Depending on your location, you may need to get to a vet college for the treatment with the little guy. I've pulled blood out of the sire for a transfusion, but we generally use serum now. Where would you get goat serum? Good question! Ask your vet!

Good Luck
V

I am neither of the people you wanted to answer , but, have raised my share of kids. Back when the dairy goat industry became concerned about CAE there were goat dairies that raised their kids without colostrum since that was before the time of freeze dried cow colostrum replacers and they didn't want to risk using the heat treated colostrum incase it wasn't pasturized correctly. Also watch to be sure it doesn't get an infected navel, there seems (to me) to be a link between the two.
Just keep the kids pen as clean as possible.
Also, I would give it the Clostridium perfringens & tetanus shot now instead of waiting until it is 6 weeks old.
It will grow just fine on WHOLE cows milk from the grocery store.
I would suggest you get it a buddy since they are also herd animals.

Vickie the Vet:

Thank you for that response. As someone just reading responses I found this to be an incredibly valuable piece of information for future information. I do not know why I did not think of alternate routes of induction.

Thanks ;-)

Goatlady...... I have to disagree with you on whole pasturized milk.......my late fatherin-law raisesed lots of healthy toggenburg goat kids on goat milk milk replacer and they grew like hell. He did,nt have very good luck with whole pasturied milk from a store. Had good luck with raw milk though.

Just my opinion Respectefully yours

Frenchie :) :) :)

frenchie":7h7rmb5d said:
Goatlady...... I have to disagree with you on whole pasturized milk.......my late fatherin-law raisesed lots of healthy toggenburg goat kids on goat milk milk replacer and they grew like hell. He did,nt have very good luck with whole pasturied milk from a store. Had good luck with raw milk though.

Just my opinion Respectefully yours

Frenchie :) :) :)

In the US kid replacer is made from whey, not goat milk. Same as the expensive calf replacers, the cheep ones use soy as a protein base. If I don't have any milk left that I've canned or frozen and lose a doe or this spring had one freshen with NO milk. I use store bought whole cows milk, never had a problem with it. Do you want to see a picture of my orphans?

Have you noticed the "new" toggs don't have full facial stripes. Only light above the eye now?

goatlady":10g46h9e said:
Have you noticed the "new" toggs don't have full facial stripes. Only light above the eye now?

I remember when Frech Alpines developed the new color of lavander. I had always thought you only got that combination from a Tog X French Alpine coue blanc cross.

dun

dun":3jwy1a5r said:
I remember when Frech Alpines developed the new color of lavander. I had always thought you only got that combination from a Tog X French Alpine coue blanc cross.

dun

Interesting, guess I never thought about it. But now that you say it I know my friend that raises French Alpines, not American, had a couple kids out of one buck that looked like toggs 2 years ago.

Are we going to get in trouble talking about the "poor mans cow" on the cow board :?:

goatlady":3krwbwvh said:
dun":3krwbwvh said:
Are we going to get in trouble talking about the "poor mans cow" on the cow board :?:

At least they're ruminants. That's closer to some of the subjects on this board then some I've seen.

dun

Goatlady no i don,t want to see pictures of your orphans, Will take your word for it.We use purelac milk replacer, my late fatherin-law just had better luck with it.

Is the milk you are buying fortified with extra stuff.

Yes have seen the new toggs.Different looking.

But boer goats are /were the rage now here.Border closure has pretty much finished the goat people here. :) :) :)

frenchie":2vtp8z9c said:
Goatlady no i don,t want to see pictures of your orphans, Will take your word for it. :)

Now you've hurt my feelings. :lol:

The choices of replacers here are land o' lakes, Carnation or Purina. I believe all the store bought milk down here is fortified with Vitamin D - can't expect those children to go outside to play in the sun now can we?

The import of the Boer, Pygmy & Nigerian has been a double edged sward down here. There are people that have been raising & showing goats 30-40+ years going out of business because everybody now has a couple goats in their back yard and the ethnic markets no longer pay the high prices for meat kids they once did, plus these new people don't want to pay big bucks for well shown and promoted herds (the old supply and demand cycle). The positive side is finally having goats put on the label of things, like de-wormers.

Latest posts