Eleven Nations

Help Support CattleToday:

I would argue that two distinct nations are evolving in the US, those with a rural perspective (typically small government conservatives) and those with an urban perspective (large government progressives). I think we see this driving our political races and our method of governing. Look at the Virginia Governor's race as a good example of that.

Along the same lines as the "news" article... I read this book back in the eighties.
The Nine Nations of North America is a book written in 1981 by Joel Garreau. In it, Garreau suggests that North America can be divided into nine nations, which have distinctive economic and cultural features. He also argues that conventional national and state borders are largely artificial and irrelevant, and that his "nations" provide a more accurate way of understanding the true nature of North American society. Paul Meartz of Mayville State University called it "a classic text on the current regionalization of North America"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_N ... th_America

Pretty good job on that one. Appears we have had some rather extensive but unsuccessful attempts at "line breeding" in some areas too.

TexasBred":1y4ktidg said:
Pretty good job on that one. Appears we have had some rather extensive but unsuccessful attempts at "line breeding" in some areas too.

Well, I don't think cross breeding has worked for the country either .

I had never seen that take, I pretty much agree with it except for the fact that I live in the fringes of that little gray area down in Florida. I am the furthest thing from a Carribean nation as are the majority of my neighbors.

Try "Black Rednecks White Liberals" by Dr.Thomas Sowell. It's been a while since I've read it(or had time to read much of anything) but he takes it back to the foundation of America and adds race to the equation.

TexasBred":2huesqo4 said:

It is interesting I agree, I know this a generic map.
I know a lot in this area are of Scotch-Irish from the Appalachian migration.
My bunch was always bad to paint themselves blue and get a little nuts.
The Romans built a wall to keep my bunch out.

I think it would have to divide into a lot more than 11 "zones" to be remotely accurate. If you super-imposed the minor variations in the language and also the red vs blue voting map, some of the regions lumped together have a lot more differences than what they have in common.

Latest posts