Electrolytes

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
I was in TSC today, and I know you have all seen those little packages of electrolytes that you mix with water, usually in the area of the calf bottles and milk replacer. My question is does anyone mix this stuff up for just all around healthy cattle? Not all the time just occasionally, its only cost a couple dollars and I don't see that it would hurt? Any thoughts?

I don't think you'd "hurt" anything by doing this, but why do it? As long as the cattle are healthy, on a good mineral program, getting the nutrition they need I wouldn't see a need for it. Now if you have a cow that has been trailered long distances, and may be dehydrated, or sick and scouring animals I could see the need to do it.
Just MHO.

Katherine

And that was kind of my thoughts on it too, but I just thought maybe it would be an added bonus? But then again if they are not dehydrated then maybe it's best to leave well enough alone. Just thinking out loud. thanks

J":37oddqbs said:
And that was kind of my thoughts on it too, but I just thought maybe it would be an added bonus? But then again if they are not dehydrated then maybe it's best to leave well enough alone. Just thinking out loud. thanks
There's an excellent product by the name of "Vital". Good for most any type of livestock.

i wonder if many of you use this instead of simple electrolytes? Has nutritional value also, unlike less expensive packets. Do you think the added cost is worth it?

Don't see any reason to give it to healthy cattle. Maybe if you were treating one fo coccidiosis it would be helpful but the best drench for that is corid and water.

buckaroo_bif":2lsp8gj6 said:
Don't see any reason to give it to healthy cattle. Maybe if you were treating one fo coccidiosis it would be helpful but the best drench for that is corid and water.
Corid is good stuff but I believe the powdered stuff is still backordered. I'm not sure what the problem was.

Crowderfarms":yohh98on said:
buckaroo_bif":yohh98on said:
Corid is good stuff but I believe the powdered stuff is still backordered. I'm not sure what the problem was.

You mean powdered corid?
we had a terrible bout with coccidiosis a few years ago with some stocker calves. they had bloody scours coming off the truck. was using corid by the case. this year did not have a single problem, the pens were dry i'm sure helped with that.

buckaroo_bif":2y08woga said:
Crowderfarms":2y08woga said:
buckaroo_bif":2y08woga said:

You mean powdered corid?
we had a terrible bout with coccidiosis a few years ago with some stocker calves. they had bloody scours coming off the truck. was using corid by the case. this year did not have a single problem, the pens were dry i'm sure helped with that.
That's the one Bif. they make a liquid and a powdered version. Lot's of folks use it for Goats around here as well as cattle for cocidiosis.

Didn't know they made a powder corid.
Hope I never need to buy more corid for the rest of my days...

buckaroo_bif":2cego95u said:
Didn't know they made a powder corid.
Hope I never need to buy more corid any for the rest of my days...
I hear that. They have made a powder for a while. There was a quality issue on it that took it off the shelves. It's supposed to be available shortly again...

I fed electrolytes once a week this past summer mixed in their water tank when we had a really hot dry spell in July/August.
It probably was a waste because the cows in another field didn't get any and they survived just fine.

I use the electrolytes when shipping to the salebarn. I mix in the grain the morning they leave and have found it keeps them around the same weight and for some it increases their weight by a few pounds. I figure its worth it in this case.

The only time we use electolytes on healthy cattle is when takin daughters show heifers to show, seems to help keep them hydrated and less stress. Also the anti bloat mineral helps keep them from stressing and shrinking, hadn't thought about usin it on salebarn calves tho...........might be worth it.

jersey lilly":14m6v309 said:
The only time we use electolytes on healthy cattle is when takin daughters show heifers to show, seems to help keep them hydrated and less stress. Also the anti bloat mineral helps keep them from stressing and shrinking, hadn't thought about usin it on salebarn calves tho...........might be worth it.

Show heifers definitely, salebarn calves too, especially in the summer. Just saw the packages the other day and thought it might be worth the couple dollars.

Used to give it to racehorses before the race to help with the recovery. But that is a totally different barrel of monkeys huh?

I give it to replacements I am raising in the summer months down here. It sometimes will reach well over a 100 deg in the sun here. They can go to shade but sometimes their need to eat overides their better sense. I don't know that it helps them but I give it to them.

Latest posts