Electric wiring question

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
So I replaced a 50 amp 3 prong dryer outlet with a 30 amp 3 prong dryer outlet. I'm pretty handy but I hate playing with electricity and my idea of a fun evening is not squished behind a dryer with power tools. Is this going to be ok? They don't make 50 amp outlets in the style I needed and they no longer make dryer cords to fit the old outlet. So. I'm not going to burn the place down if I start the beast am I?

Thanks...

I'll tackle any wiring in the shed,shop,orbarn in the house, I hire a electrician.
One of the few jobs I'll hire outside help for.
Don't mess with automatic transmissions either.

It will be okay as the dryer is 30 amps. More importantly the breaker needs to be 30 a amps and wiring minimum 10 gauge. A 40 amp short in the dryer would not trip a 50 amp breaker but could start a fire. It could be protected by a 30 amp breaker and just had a 50 amp plug though.

The breaker box says the dryer switches are 30 amps. Huh. Dryer also says it's 30 amps. I'm learning all kinds of stuff. Lol.

So if there was a 50 amp outlet on before that would be a problem sounds like...

I have absolutely no idea what gauge the wiring is though. Lol. That's way out of my league.

you're fine going to the lower amperage receptacle you just don't want to go the other way.
Dryers will pull between 21 and 26 amps generally. More important is to make sure the cord is rated for min 30 amps. If its a store bought pigtail, it will be. If you're making your own cord, use 8/2 gauge for 3 prong, 8/3 for four prong. 10 gauge would be okay, too, but I prefer heavier.

Just make sure your neutral is the same as the old one. The 2 hots are interchangable.

Although the 50 amp receptacle would not pass inspection, it was protected by a 30 amp breaker and okay for a dryer. If you tried to plug something up with a 50 amp load, it would have tripped the breaker.

The neutral... white cord? Yes got it. The outlet said where the white went too lol.

The dryer cord was an original that came on the dryer. I suspect replacing the cord would be easier than what I did. Haha.

I re read what was said about the previous 50 amp receptacle. Got it. I just read too quick last time.

Well that and it's tough typing and reading on the phone. Lol.

Thanks for the responses. Dryer is running now and I feel much better about this lol.