Electric Gates

Help Support CattleToday:

I have one that slides to the side and we really like it. It uses a comercial operating device and gives me no trouble. I had a mighty mule type on another place and it stayed torn up.

I'd have to go out and see what brand it is, but it has a solar panel and a boat battery and it swings open and closed. My husband had it installed before we met. The gate is iron and he had it custom built. This was back when he made money... We did have one guy who forced it open and bent the shaft that swings it back and forth but he welded it back and it works nicely now. Keeps things in better than it keeps things out, which is I guess what a gate is for. It opens with a garage door opener that we have coded with the box on the gate so that you can't push the button on the box and have it open.

I'll get out in a bit and see what brand it is, but I really like it.

I have automatic gate openers on all of my gates ( close to 60 of them) when I pull up to the gate I push the button located in the top of the console of my truck the wife gets out and the gate opens

she said it never works when she is driving and I am in the passenger seat tho :lol:

gto pro. solar power. great unit but sensitive to lightning. mineprobly 8 yrs old and im on my second lightning death....funny how it onyl doesnt work during the rainy season..like now....in the drought when yer good boots wont get muddy it never fails to open

Mines pretty much the same as Lammi's. It is a black chain link fence across the drive and a 14' black chain linked gate, all is five foot high. It swings out, I'll explain this small problem later. It too has a garage type opener I and my wife keep in our rigs, you can change the frequency and there are many options of frequencies. It runs off a deep cell 12 volt battery which has a charger in the box. The power source is 120 volt that I run from a breaker box in a old house I use for hay storage. But for the first couple weeks it was 300 ft of extension cords :oops: . I could have gotten solar powered but hey, this is the cloudy, rainy NW. I like the deep cell battery, due to the many times a year we lose power. The gate swinging out can be a problem with snow, it's strong enough to push a couple of inches, but much more than that, I have to figure out how to get through the blocked gate to shovel the snow. Usually it's over, which is not as easy now at 51 then it was at 21. :D . Luckily that has only happen a couple of times, after the first time I got smart and during snow storms I'll drive down and open the gate a few times during the storm to let the gate do the work.

Hope this helps, we got hit by the meth heads too many times. As I posted before we haven't had a problem since (knock on wood). I just went to my 3 neighbors and explained I wasn't trying to be a snot or rude, but the gate cost far less then the property I have lost. Also as I said earlier, my plan was to make it easier for them to hit someone else..... plus it keeps the "sight seer's out. :lol:

Alan

you wouldnt believe how many jackasses have forced thier way past my gate opener for whatever reason and got such an ass chewing that i didnt even know why they came in..and didnt care...

dieselbeef":3hpfs5pz said:
you wouldn't believe how many jackasses have forced their way past my gate opener for whatever reason and got such an ass chewing that i didn't even know why they came in..and didn't care...

Why would they force their way through a closed gate.... meaning is your house close to the road? My place is maybe 1/4 mile from the gate I guess I don't get it happening too much, if ever. Maybe 4 years and never anyone up here that was not invited.... (I'm getting soar from knocking on wood ... but knock on wood).

Alan

Alan":1xqrorew said:
dieselbeef":1xqrorew said:
you wouldn't believe how many jackasses have forced their way past my gate opener for whatever reason and got such an ass chewing that i didn't even know why they came in..and didn't care...

Why would they force their way through a closed gate.... meaning is your house close to the road? My place is maybe 1/4 mile from the gate I guess I don't get it happening too much, if ever. Maybe 4 years and never anyone up here that was not invited.... (I'm getting soar from knocking on wood ... but knock on wood).

Alan

im bout 400 ft from the road but its open pasture. you can see rite into the place from the road...planted oaks aint high enuff yet.

its posted no trespaasing and a security and a do no topen electric gate sign ..thats why i usually chew em so bad they leave before i figure out why they came...could also be the rifle i lean on the garage when i come walkin out..i keep it in the cabinet outside for just such a reason..no joke....

dieselbeef":3979h16a said:
could also be the rifle i lean on the garage when i come walkin out..i keep it in the cabinet outside for just such a reason..no joke....

Anyone that forces their way past a closed gates is deserving of a welcome like this. You just don't know if they are idiots are meth heads. Best not to take any chances.

Angus Cowman":13miz9ga said:
I have automatic gate openers on all of my gates ( close to 60 of them) when I pull up to the gate I push the button located in the top of the console of my truck the wife gets out and the gate opens

she said it never works when she is driving and I am in the passenger seat tho :lol:

You let her drive :shock: :?:
My daughter has trouble with this gate opening concept. I don't know why. The rules have been clear since she was old enough to ride along.

grannysoo":2f4gkzaa said:
dieselbeef":2f4gkzaa said:
could also be the rifle i lean on the garage when i come walkin out..i keep it in the cabinet outside for just such a reason..no joke....

Anyone that forces their way past a closed gates is deserving of a welcome like this. You just don't know if they are idiots are meth heads. Best not to take any chances.

Well I never have had any idiot force open my gate... yet, but if they do, you know they will be up to no good. Did come home on afternoon and opened my gate to see a guy with a rifle walking down my drive toward the gate (our place sets back about 1/4 from a dead end gravel road, it dead ends about 2 miles from pavement... prime meth head hunting grounds). Naturally mine temperature went up a few degrees. He said he was hunting and had come up the back side of the property and had gotten lost. If his story was correct he was about 10 mile from his place, I gave him directions and sent him on his way. After about 10 minutes of checking my barns and house out, I found no problems and drove down and gave him a left home.... he rode in the back of the truck... seemed like a nice kid after I cooled down.

Alan

out gates work on kid power :) I pull up and we all have the argument on who's day it is :lol: Maybe this year we can work on auto power.

show steer up":2k3pk3hg said:
out gates work on kid power :) I pull up and we all have the argument on who's day it is :lol: Maybe this year we can work on auto power.

Heck we don't even have a front gate. Guess I'll wait til someone breaks into the place and THEN put one up. Don't even take the keys out of my truck. But unfortunately....I still have to open all the other gates.

TexasBred":2kh74f5l said:
show steer up":2kh74f5l said:

Heck we don't even have a front gate. Guess I'll wait til someone breaks into the place and THEN put one up. Don't even take the keys out of my truck. But unfortunately....I still have to open all the other gates.
you mean people take the keys outta their trucks next thing you will be telling me they take their guns out also and lock the doors on their houses

Angus Cowman":carey67t said:
TexasBred":carey67t said:
show steer up":carey67t said:

you mean people take the keys outta their trucks next thing you will be telling me they take their guns out also and lock the doors on their houses

Angus they can have the old truck but better leave my old shotgun on the porch. ;-)

I was working in east Dallas several yrs ago and had an old man tell me that the theives around their was so good they could steal your radio outta your car and leave the music for 10 minutes

they were so bad we had to keep all of the tool boxes locked they cleaned one guys truck out while him and his helper were working on a machine on the other side of it
took over $5,000 in tools in less than 15 minutes

Latest posts