electric fencer and weather

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:
dvcochran said:
I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.
Do I understand that you dig a trench 8' deep?
I have 3 8' galvanized rods buried in the drip of the barn. Not 8' deep but buried and 6' apart.

That is exactly the same setup I have only one would only go 4' before rock If it gets dry, 3 buckets of water help.

Any little bit of rain from the barn roof always goes to the correct place. A few years ago during a drought I also let a water hose run for a couple hours in the same area. Found out I had a short in an underground crossing area instead of a ground problem

I have several solar 12v Parmak chargers around and they work great. Quick and easy to set up. I do a lazy man set up often by just tying into the fence for my ground. All the steel posts make a good ground.

I used Gallagher for years and they are ok but in my opinion over priced and overrated. The slightest short will knock them out. Not very well protected either.

I have 1 Patriot and it's been a good one.

IMO the Taylor Fence Cyclops charger is the Cadillac of them all. It's amazing how well it can handle a short and they are very well protected. Also American made!

dvcochran said:
I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.

(2) 8' copper 6' apart.

I run step in posts and poly braid for daily pastures. My solar charger, posts and wire move with them all over the property. I have 8 copper ground rods ( $12 @ Lowes ) placed all over the farm. I only need one 8ft rod per pasture. I dump a bucket of water (if if hadnt rained) prior to set up. The longest amount of time I use any one spot is a matter of a few days up to a week. Seems to work out well so far...

Ditto Cyclops! Set it up with good grounding and fiber posts. Back into it and hit High C........

thinking about purchasing a electric fencer, looking at a super enegizeer 5 or rangemaster i dont need the rangemaster but the local coop only has that ccharger. will there be a problem if i buy the 100 mile when i dont need it. also will it shorten the life if i put it in a wooden home made box or metal box to keep it out of the weather. im looking for a real good charger. trhat is hot
i am using Cyclops 32-joule , it's very strong!

Latest posts