Electric Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Drzr

Reaction score
I'm in need of a electric fence charger. I don't know ANYTHING about them but from reading I "think" solar may be what I want. I'll need to cover about 30 acres.

I have better luck with the plug in type. Particularly parmak . They pack a bigger punch and it doesn't take the cows long to figure it out . My bulls would walk right through the solar wire. But the plug in throws a spark when it hits them. Now I can move the wire and it takes 2 days before they will pass where it used to be .

JSCATTLE":1emqlohq said:
I have better luck with the plug in type. Particularly parmak . They pack a bigger punch and it doesn't take the cows long to figure it out . My bulls would walk right through the solar wire. But the plug in throws a spark when it hits them. Now I can move the wire and it takes 2 days before they will pass where it used to be .

If you don't mind where did you get it and what model. Thanks

No solar, but gonna get one this fall. I got 2 parmaks and bought a cyclops last year. According to the guy at fuller supply that repairs them said they are the best he's ever seen very few repairs and parts are simple on the ones he's fixed.

If you have electricity available I'd go that route. I run a parmak Range Master with 12.5 joules and have a zareba with 6 joules. By the time my cows are subjected to a solar wire they are already broke to electric fencing so it doesn't take much more than the wire itself to turn them.

Pro-Shock fence chargers, made in the USA by an American. Probably the best and most heavy duty fence chargers made. Check them out and see for yourself.

The only brands I have experience with are par mak and a TSC car batt. power supply type.I like the 12 solar powered for where I have no AC but I use a Mark5 at home.It now is the Mark 6 but if i were replacing I would buy an SE-5. The most important thing is grounding.It doesn't make sence to buy a good charger then kill its effectiveness with a poor ground.Dont skmp on materials either.You will spend more time and money in the log run.Don't be tempted to use scrap home wire for connections.The insulation on it won't take the heat from the amount of voltage you have.If you run undergound cable ,I recommend running through conduit such as plastic water pipe or PVC. :2cents:

I have 20 acres fenced off with a solar charger for past three seasons.always take it down in winter months. It will throw 8.8 on fence tester and will darn sure make you holler if you hit it. I just put it in sun for 3-4 days prior to hook up. Will shock through weeds. Give 200-250 for it at the local rural king. Will check on make model tomorrow if you like. I also prefer electric anytime available however. Not an option on this particular piece. Local elec company wanted over 12k to run power to it. No thanks.

We use Gallagher chargers and haven't had any problems with them thus far. We have 2 solar powered ones and a plug in one. They work just fine.....especially the plug in one lol it will knock you down. Its popped me a few times.

Fitz wrote: "If you have electricity available I'd go that route. I run a parmak Range Master with 12.5 joules and have a zareba with 6 joules. "

Do you have any problems with keeping calves behind a wire with 6 joules? I ordered a Zareba AC low impedence 100 miler with a 6 joule output over the weekend to replace an AC low impedence horse fence controller I've had for 11 years. After making the purchase on Amazon I was thinking that it might be too strong for young calves just learning about electric fences (e.g., newborns). Will it cause cardiac arrest on some unsuspecting baby or will he really, really, not want to go around the wires after his first encounter?

Thanks,

Michael

MichaelB":1gkovbfd said:
Fitz wrote: "If you have electricity available I'd go that route. I run a parmak Range Master with 12.5 joules and have a zareba with 6 joules. "

Do you have any problems with keeping calves behind a wire with 6 joules? I ordered a Zareba AC low impedence 100 miler with a 6 joule output over the weekend to replace an AC low impedence horse fence controller I've had for 11 years. After making the purchase on Amazon I was thinking that it might be too strong for young calves just learning about electric fences (e.g., newborns). Will it cause cardiac arrest on some unsuspecting baby or will he really, really, not want to go around the wires after his first encounter?

Thanks,

Michael
It won;t hurt young calves, but it will catch their attention. It doesn;t seem like calves for the first week or so really are affected by hot wire.

It takes calves 3-4 weeks to really respect the hot wire. Mine shocked my neighbors little Terrier dog and knocked him out and now he has a hitch in his step. Never seen it hurt a calf yet.

dun":3es19sgp said:
MichaelB":3es19sgp said:

Thanks,

Michael
It won;t hurt young calves, but it will catch their attention. It doesn;t seem like calves for the first week or so really are affected by hot wire.

Our calves are like that. It wont hurt them and they will just go right through it but once it gets them they won't go ANYWHERE near it again lol.

MichaelB":2edvnjrp said:

Thanks,

Michael

That's the one I have Michael. It won't hurt the calves. Just helps to break them to a hot wire. I do tell the granddaughters to stay away from any of the electric wires when they're around.
With all that said, I raise my own replacement heifers. So by weaning, any that hasn't learned to respect a single hot wire when rotating from one lot to another doesn't stay.

Latest posts