Electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
Been putting up Electrobraid fence from Canada. Stuff is AMAZING, I'm 100% sold on it. 1200ft roll of wire is 189.00 Very easy to put up, fence post every 50 feet. I'll be tearing down alot of barb wire fence and replacing it with this stuff. Can't say enough about it. Cows don't like it, 7000 volts, don't take your shoes off and grab the wire to test it.

Before you get too sold on it, you should check out 12.5 gauge hi-tensile 180,000psi strength rolls of steel wire for less than $100 per 4000ft roll.

ga. prime":1r0evrw5 said:
Before you get too sold on it, you should check out 12.5 gauge hi-tensile 180,000psi strength rolls of steel wire for less than $100 per 4000ft roll.

Yup. That's what I use. Never had trouble.

Do most people use more strands of high tensile than they do with electric fencing? If so that would make a difference in cost of one versus the other. I'm fixing my perimeter fences but I'm going to have to add some to divide up my fields smaller for rotaional grazing. They will be permanant and I can't decide what to use.

We use 17 ga galvanized wire with a 18 joulue 110 volt fencer, work great but we only use it for winter grazing so it get's rolled up every year if not twice a year.It's good for 4-5 years.

Two strands will keep everything in. Even one will. Might have a few calves stumble through it, but they'll come back. Use three or four if it makes you feel better.

critterair2":3n1nw8ae said:
Been putting up Electrobraid fence from Canada. Stuff is AMAZING, I'm 100% sold on it. 1200ft roll of wire is 189.00 Very easy to put up, fence post every 50 feet. I'll be tearing down alot of barb wire fence and replacing it with this stuff. Can't say enough about it. Cows don't like it, 7000 volts, don't take your shoes off and grab the wire to test it.

You wont have fence if the hogs move in. I have turned all mine off it is amazing hog much they will tear down .

Instead of going under a wire 24 inches off the ground, a hog will belly flop over the top of a wire 42 inches off the ground. They're devils.

Except for the property perimeter we use all 12 1/2 gauge high tensile electric. One strand 30-34 inches high. The only thing we have is very ypung calves can walk under the wire in spots. They only do that till they're big enough to get bit when the try to go under, usually abuut 2 weeks old tops. The pastures range in size from around 3-4 acres to 35 acres. By the time the grass is growing well enough to start dividing the pastures into smaller grazing cells the calves know all about hotwire. For temp divisions we use polywire and step in posts.

ga. prime":4sbr3opr said:
Two strands will keep everything in. Even one will. Might have a few calves stumble through it, but they'll come back. Use three or four if it makes you feel better.

What spacing would you recommend for those two wires for cows and calves?

Electrobraid has a 25 year warrenty. It was designed more for horse folk, if you register their product with them, and you have a horse get hurt with it, they will pay the first $5000.00 of the vet bill. Not sure what they might do with cattle. In our bull pastures and pens we ran one strand about 45 inches high and 10 inches inside the fence. Took old broken boards, stripped em down the middle making them three inches wide instead of six. Then we cut them into 14 inch lengthes, screwed the lengthes to the post, and screwed the insulator to the end of the board. Have 4 bulls on either side of four strand barb wire fence, none of them even get close to the fence. We only put these boards every 48 feet.

Jim62":13fdasxt said:
ga. prime":13fdasxt said:

What spacing would you recommend for those two wires for cows and calves?
About knee high, and waist high.

They put hot wires around the grain fields here to help keep the hogs out. It works when they plant but when there are roasting ears they will just take the hit.

We have seen hogs literally line up and all make a run for the fence. They start squeeling before the hit it and are still squeeling after they hit it. Its pretty crazy to watch. :lol:

In my experance the braid does not work well in areas with high wind or ice. You can not get it pulled as tight as high tensil. We use alot of hot wire in this country. We turn out steers on section weat pastures, thats 4 miles per pasture and we leese many pastures. There is nothing better than the high tensel wire and re-bar posts with real heavy corners and a big charger. Seen it all, tried it all, and that is what workes best.

My question is what is your favorite brand of charger? I find most are good but stay away from a Zeraba. They seem a little weak for the distance they are described to cover.

Latest posts