Electric Fence Training

Help Support CattleToday:

allritecoach

Reaction score
I have a few calves I want to put out to pasture. What is the best way to train them to the elecric fence?

The easy way is to just put them out in the pasture if there isn;t anything they can get hurt by outside of the fence. A couple of zaps and they catch on. Or the hard way would be to set up an area that they have to pass through and put a hot wire across part of it. A couple of zaps and they'll catch on.

The way I e-fence train is with a steel corral pen the has a polytape wire across the back end of the corral about a foot inside the steel fence and another polytape that is perpendicular to the corral fence going about 15 ft into the corral. As the cattle are exploring the corral they will encounter one of the hot wires & zap! they are trained. Usually only one day is required with this method. I have this setup in my receiving corral so all my animals are trained upon arrival. Even the crazy ones learn quickly.

I use polytape because it flutters if there is a little breeze and the calves being curious will try to smell it and get zapped. The really smart ones will never touch it if they observe another animal get zapped.

By training all my animals I can use temporary lanes and wing fences to move animals around the place and they don't even have to be hot as the animals will respect that single wire due to past experience. Have even used a length of polytape held between 2 people as a moving fence.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Texas PaPaw":2wyqfz9v said:
Have even used a length of polytape held between 2 people as a moving fence.
White cotton string does the same thing.

dun":3vs33mta said:
Texas PaPaw":3vs33mta said:
I've used garage sale sheets torn into strips and tied on to the center wire, have seen people use egg cartons as well. I think I'm going to go with that next time. :nod:

angie":10qc9qtl said:
dun":10qc9qtl said:
Texas PaPaw":10qc9qtl said:
I've used garage sale sheets torn into strips and tied on to the center wire, have seen people use egg cartons as well. I think I'm going to go with that next time. :nod:
I don;t mean as an attractant. I use the cotton string for temp fences
It's really funny when the get jostled and bump it, they act like they got a shock

Mine kinda learn on their own. I do sometimes like to get a six pack of beer and watch them educate themselves.

dun":cawykhc0 said:
It's really funny when the get jostled and bump it, they act like they got a shock
Well Goodness, I didn't mean as an attractant either ~ I meant as an alert so they don't touch it, and learn the boundries. I feel awful when they hit the fence.

angie":2tbfhkj6 said:
dun":2tbfhkj6 said:
Well Goodness, I didn't mean as an attractant either ~ I meant as an alert so they don't touch it, and learn the boundries. I feel awful when they hit the fence.
Awwww the po lil babies touched the fence maybe we need to build a padded room for them so the po lil babies don't ever get an owwwy
kinda like telling your kid something is hot well until they know the definition of HOT the have no concept of the consequences so once they touch it and get burned then they have something to relate the word HOT to
once a cow or calf touches an electric fence they know what the conseguences are then thye respect it

Angus Cowman":2juur11l said:
kinda like telling your kid something is hot well until they know the definition of HOT the have no concept of the consequences so once they touch it and get burned then they have something to relate the word HOT to
once a cow or calf touches an electric fence they know what the conseguences are then thye respect it

I bet if you told Vette the wire was hot he'd have to touch it to see if you were right. ;-)

Yeah, once they get a sniff of it and it bites them they learn a life long leason about fences. I like to see them learn this cause it gives me reassurance later they won't be tempted to push their way onto the highway.

Jogeephus":usxn7rvg said:
Angus Cowman":usxn7rvg said:

I bet if you told Vette the wire was hot he'd have to touch it to see if you were right. ;-)

Yeah, once they get a sniff of it and it bites them they learn a life long leason about fences. I like to see them learn this cause it gives me reassurance later they won't be tempted to push their way onto the highway.

:lol: Shoot, I test it even after I unplug the charger and know it isn't (supposed to be) on before I work on it. Been bit to many times by a fence that is supposed to be off. I'd say I'm "electric fence trained".

Angus Cowman":2qi1eiij said:
Awwww the po lil babies touched the fence maybe we need to build a padded room for them so the po lil babies don't ever get an owwwy
Whatever, you blow bag. Someone should build a padded room for you. With no doors.
But thank you for the lesson on cause/effect. :roll:

Of course they are going to touch it at least once or maybe twice, but after that they learn the white flags are something they should stay away from, and they learn the boundaries of their pasture.

I realize that this is not near as much fun as pulling up a lawn chair with your buddies, opening a cold one and high-fiving when the calf repeatedly stumbles into the fence, but maybe you can twist the head off a kitten in your down time or make cool farting noises with your arm pit.

angie":1m5q6mcd said:
I realize that this is not near as much fun as pulling up a lawn chair with your buddies, opening a cold one and high-fiving when the calf repeatedly stumbles into the fence, but maybe you can twist the head off a kitten in your down time or make cool farting noises with your arm pit.

Nawww, we let the radiator fans take care of them.......

Dumb cats. :mad:

angie":23k51mfq said:
Whatever, you blow bag. Someone should build a padded room for you. With no doors.
But thank you for the lesson on cause/effect. :roll:

Of course they are going to touch it at least once or maybe twice, but after that they learn the white flags are something they should stay away from, and they learn the boundaries of their pasture.

ANGRIE
are you off your meds again :lol:
heck if they ain't smart enough not to touch it after the 2nd time then heck they probably deserve to be shocked :lol2: :lol2:
No we quit twistin heads off of the kittys found out you could get more $$ for them at the Cashew Kitty place if they still had the heads attached they use the eyeballs to make the egg drop soup

angie":br30k9gt said:
Angus Cowman":br30k9gt said:

Aw, Angie, if you twist their heads off they don't come out of the potato canon quite right. Seriously, it is a myth that cats always land on their feet. Something about the potato canon that disorients them after a couple hundred feet.