Electric Fence Tension Gate

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I'm looking to build some 'gates' between pastures and I was wondering what everyone thought about those tension gates made with the giant spring. Also, in your experience, is two ok or is three better? Cost isn't a problem b/c they're not that expensive, I want to do things correctly b/c redoing things is a pain.

Bestoutwest":3mfyysa9 said:
I'm looking to build some 'gates' between pastures and I was wondering what everyone thought about those tension gates made with the giant spring. Also, in your experience, is two ok or is three better? Cost isn't a problem b/c they're not that expensive, I want to do things correctly b/c redoing things is a pain.

I used them a lot served me well I don't have any up now because I don't have any cattle on that pasture anymore but would have no quams with using them again. :2cents:

edited I used 3

Last a yr or 2, But eventually something will run thru them. Stretch them 30ft long and you'll cut 20' off, put it back up for a while as an eyesore, until it happens again and then you'll throw it away. Been there, done that 20yrs ago. Have very few left around here.

Supa Dexta":17uo1sdz said:
Last a yr or 2, But eventually something will run thru them. Stretch them 30ft long and you'll cut 20' off, put it back up for a while as an eyesore, until it happens again and then you'll throw it away. Been there, done that 20yrs ago. Have very few left around here.

I never had anything run through it before

Supa Dexta":1cf7bdim said:

This has been my experience too.

I used them in my bull paddock. Ok when taught, but if you unhook them and they loop into one another, they can be a pain to get apart. They eventually all went to the trash. I prefer the bungee gates, but the winter here destroys the rubber after one season. Majority of gates are electric tape with a spring handle.

We use those spring loaded plastic handles on each end with a piece of cable crimped to them. Works great, easy to fix and cheap. You can also put a temporary fiberglass post in the middle.

Latest posts