electric fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

Busterz

Reaction score
I bought only of those electric fence testers that has volts and amps and I've been checking my fences with it. I lose amps and volts at corners where I have to tie the fence off then reconnect it.

How do you do these connections without losing power? Anything special? I've tried to go back and wrap the wires tighter and that helps a little but not much.

You are going to lose power just wrapping the wires, you need to use crimps to connect wires.

How many turns are you using? I use nothing but wraps and don;t lose mcuh in a mile of fence with a dozen or more wrapped connections.

I've had the same problem in the corners with the wraps. Seems that you can loose power, and the wire will rust where you wrap/bend it. Best solution I have found is a little emory cloth to get a good surface, and then a few wraps of electrical tape to keep the moisture out.

That shiny new meter really helps find the faults!

grannysoo":15wnezna said:
I've had the same problem in the corners with the wraps. Seems that you can loose power, and the wire will rust where you wrap/bend it. Best solution I have found is a little emory cloth to get a good surface, and then a few wraps of electrical tape to keep the moisture out.

That shiny new meter really helps find the faults!

What kind of wire are you wusing that rusts at the wraps? I have yet to have any rust but the oldest stuff is only about 15 years old.

:D Must be using some ancient, ancient wire if it's rusting. I use copper ground wire that I get from old light poles to make the crossover connections at corners. It wraps, bends, and twists much easier than the 12.5 gauge and is 100% conductive.

I've got some of that. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably try it but I had heard you didn't want to mix metals???

I just went out and checked a spot that has 2 wraps to go under a fence. Same reading on the wire going to it as there is coming from it. Don;t under stand what's going on with yours. How much voltage are you reading on the fence.

Mixing wires can cause verdigris to develop and will eventually decrease conductivity.

dun":2hnxd0xr said:
I just went out and checked a spot that has 2 wraps to go under a fence. Same reading on the wire going to it as there is coming from it. Don;t under stand what's going on with yours. How much voltage are you reading on the fence.

Mixing wires can cause verdigris to develop and will eventually decrease conductivity.

Definition of verdigris (noun) a green patina that forms on copper or brass or bronze that has been exposed to the air or water for long periods of time

Good word, dun. I never had heard it before. I think it would take a lot of years before that became a factor in the electric fence application.

Voltage drop indicates increased resistance, so connections are likely a factor. Also anything that bleeds off current, such as grass/weed load or minor shorts beyond the corner will amplify the voltage drop at a weak connection. Am wondering if a more powerful charger would help your situation. Most voltage problems I have encountered on a pretty decent fence are due to not enough charger power combined with grass/weed load.

Most charger manufacturer (over)ratings (miles, acres,etc) are for a perfect fence in perfect conditions and I have never seen such a fence.

The Missouri grazing manual recommends 1 joule OUTPUT (approx. 1.5 J stored) per mile of fence. If you have a charger that has less than this much power it could be contributing to the situation. Just like more horsepower pulls a heavy load better, more joules will do the same for an electric fence.

ga. prime":7xxsyqtd said:
dun":7xxsyqtd said:

Definition of verdigris (noun) a green patina that forms on copper or brass or bronze that has been exposed to the air or water for long periods of time

Good word, dun. I never had heard it before. I think it would take a lot of years before that became a factor in the electric fence application.

Doesn;t take as long as you would think. There is also the oxidation that fomrs first that can cause problems.

I think you're right, it won't take long for the oxidation and verdigris to form. I just think the insulation effect against 6000 volts will be negligible.

Galvanic corrosion occurs when two dissimiliar metals are together. To varying extent depending on which metals are involved.

How do the electric power companys get away with connecting galvanized line wire to the copper ground(ing) wire?

dun":177nb90l said:
What kind of wire are you wusing that rusts at the wraps? I have yet to have any rust but the oldest stuff is only about 15 years old.

I've really got a sore a$$ about this wire. It's only around 5 years old and was bought from one of our local feed stores. I didn't notice at the time, but I'm now sure that it was made in China. The entire wire is rusting, not just at the wraps.

Keep in mind, this is our big local feed mill/store that sold me feed that didn't even have any corn in it. It seems that they have cut every corner in every location that they could find in order to make more money.

This is my "former" supplier. I'll never walk back in their doors again.

We have been replacing all of the rusty wire with wire from my new supplier as time and money permits. No problems out of the new wire thus far.