Electric fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

peacemaker

Reaction score
What would be one of the best (trouble free) Solar powered fence chargers? I would rather spend a little more and get a good one.

Any Apple growers on here...We started planting apple trees and until now we have just used three t-post and field wire in a triangle to keep the deer off them until they get some size to them... (only have 12 trees)
But in the spring we plan on setting out about 150-200 young trees. (600) t-post to do it the way we have been. Is there a cheaper or better way to cover the whole area. Not going to complain but there is so many damn deer in these hill's they can tear thing's up pretty good. The electric fence is for another project but was wondering if it could work for the deer.
We talked with the growers In Hendersonvill N.C. But they dont have a deer problem so couldnt help much. :?:

600 post at the coop = $1,890.00

peacemaker":60951yh2 said:
Any Apple growers on here...We started planting apple trees and until now we have just used three t-post and field wire in a triangle to keep the deer off them until they get some size to them... (only have 12 trees)
But in the spring we plan on setting out about 150-200 young trees. (600) t-post to do it the way we have been. Is there a cheaper or better way to cover the whole area. Not going to complain but there is so many be nice deer in these hill's they can tear thing's up pretty good. The electric fence is for another project but was wondering if it could work for the deer.
We talked with the growers In Hendersonvill N.C. But they dont have a deer problem so couldnt help much. :?:

600 post at the coop = $1,890.00

I don't know the first thing about growing apples, but it seems to me that it would be cheaper to do a little research about how high deer can jump, and then build a perimeter fence around your trees that is higher than they can jump. I think I would also check with local auction firms/utility companies/telephone company about the possibility of getting a hold of telephone/utility poles. Yes - they are a pain to set but, once set, they make for a very sturdy, durable fence that just might do the trick. As far as electric fence, I would be a bit concerned about the deer getting zapped while jumping over and becoming trapped in my apple trees. I don't know if any of this will help - or is even feasible - just tossing out thoughts. I hope some of them will help. :)

Not a grower but our friends that have orchards have 6-8 foot fences to keep the deer out.
The solar chargers just don't have the joules that I like in fences...I like to see a blue spark from a quarter mile away when they decide to test the wire. 'Course I've been zapped a time or two but we keep pastures seperated with two wires...one at 28" for the cows and one at 14" for the calves and animals stay clear of the wires.
And thats my two bits worth...asked for or not....DMc

We have a good size deer population here and keeping them out of the garden and orchard is a constant battle. I've seen them jump an 8 foot chain link fence many times.

We have used hair from the barber shop to try to scare them with the scent. It worked for a while. We even fenced in our garden so our dog could spend his nights in the garden to keep the deer out. After about a week, the deer and the dog were the best of friends.

The orchard guys around here use 10 or 12 foot elk fence to keep the deer out. Maybe your deer are considerably smaller down there, but up here, ours will clear 6 foot fence with ease. In the winter time, deer clear my 6 foot corral fence to drink out of the watering bowls.

Rod

Thanks for the ideas.
After hearing msscamps thoughts about the utility poles I called our local elec coop. They will set poles at my place with there truck and crew for $130.00 each.

I was thinking then I could get two runs of 5' field fence and have it up to 10' Still have to crunch the numbers but it sounds like a more permenant solution than the t-post.

I saw that plastic type deer fence or netting but it doesnt look like it would last very long.

peacemaker":12rl9ktv said:
Thanks for the ideas.
After hearing msscamps thoughts about the utility poles I called our local elec coop. They will set poles at my place with there truck and crew for $130.00 each.

I was thinking then I could get two runs of 5' field fence and have it up to 10' Still have to crunch the numbers but it sounds like a more permenant solution than the t-post.

I saw that plastic type deer fence or netting but it doesnt look like it would last very long.

Do you have a loader tractor? You and a body can set the poles your self just figure on 3- 4 feet in the ground and then what ever length you want. Cut them up with a chain saw ahead of time. If you can get the elec coop to deliver them that is good.

S&S Farms":26txy014 said:
peacemaker":26txy014 said:
Thanks for the ideas.

Do you have a loader tractor? You and a body can set the poles your self just figure on 3- 4 feet in the ground and then what ever length you want. Cut them up with a chain saw ahead of time. If you can get the elec coop to deliver them that is good.

I believe I would be going a quite a bit deeper than 3-4' for a 10' fence.

Latest posts