Electric fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest said:
Ok, just to clarify a little here:
-We have about 16 acres fenced off with hotwire. There are breaks at every corner where we attach the wire to the next run, but we've set it up so we can disconnect to find the issues.
-When we started, we had about a 1/2 acre area with hotwire in it. This area works fine. It's when we make the jump to the big pasture that we have the issue.
-We have the issue isolated to one section. BUT! that section doesn't seem to have any issues with any insulators or anything obstructing the fence. The other day we removed some trees that were growing into the fence line.
-All extension cords have been changed out, so that is not the issue either.

So, where I'm at with it is that it's either 1) The box 2) The jump or 3) The line.

I appreciate all the help. You guys continue to be a wealth of knowledge.

Best you really need to start disconnecting every where you can to isolate the short. You have a short they can be very hard to find . But disconnecting individual runs is the way to narrow it down. I chased one for days that ended up being where the wire had worn through on the backside of a plastic insulator and was shorting to the tpost. Looked perfectly good on visual inspection. Also sometimes walking the fence at night looking for the arc works.

Electric fences can really test your resolve at times. Based on information provided.... I'm guessing a bad insulator or a bad splice(s). I found out the hard way that water hose is not a good insulator! Who'd of thunk it?
One thing that might help.... How many joules is your charger rated at? How many total feet of wire do you have? (Length of fence (x) number of strands)

Another thing to consider is the type of "wire".

I read somewhere once the capacity of six strand poly wire starts falling off rapidly after 200 meters.The 9 strand went much further.
Maybe gauge of solid wire could have an effect,too.Someone who knows more than I would have to answer that.

My questions are how many joules is your charger? Miles the charger is "good for" means absolutely nothing to me. And have you hooked the wire up before to the larger pasture? Or is it something new you added?
I have started using fiberglass posts/ 12.5 gauge ht wire and steel crimp sleeves. That combined with a powerful charger, and I have very few problems with it

Yeah, the miles rating means not much....

You have a short, it may not be obvious, but you need to physically check from where this larger area connects and work on from there....

If you have a proper volt meter, you should be able to see a fair drop after the short, compared to prior.

I feel for you, I started working in electrics very young, and some things like my example above can catch me out....

Take some photos of your wire, connections, switches and insulators.

I tend to use porcelain, they can survive most things.....

Well, praise the lord! The wife found it this afternoon. I had her walk the fence holding on to it and she found it wrapped around the barb wire fence. Tomorrow's project for her is to fix the cross fencing that the two idiot yearlings walked through. Boy are they going to get a surprise when the fence is back on. :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone for the help. This has been the worst fencing issue I've ever had. And I feel so dumb for it being so easy. :hide:

Here is what you need for insulators to keep the hot wire away from the fence.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/pi-30-offset-bracket?cat_id=46

sstterry said:
Bestoutwest said:
Well, praise the lord! The wife found it this afternoon. I had her walk the fence holding on to it and she found it.....

I hope you turned the fence off before making her hold it as she walked it! ⚡⚡ :cowboy:

:lol: I was working my day job, so it was up to her to remember. She did though, because we keep it pretty hot. I like my fences respected.

Latest posts