Electric fence question/opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
I need to fence cattle out of a certain area and am not looking at spending to much. I like the high tensile electric but I don't see why it is necessary for my cows they aren't wild. Couldn't I just use pasturepro or t post and use conventional insulators?

With that I don't even see the need for corner braces when pulled hand tight tied off and attached to a good charger. Or am I underestimating this project?

Opinions welcomed

If it isn;t a perimeter fence, just 9 conductor polywire and a good charger would be adequate. You can get by then with 3/8 fiberglass posts and maybe tposts at the very ends of the run.

I will often use 2 T posts as you call them, one driven in straight the other at 45 degrees and wired to the first as a brace for temp electric fencing. They will handle a surprising load on them.

Ken

I recently put up a temporary electric fence that's working fine. I made the curves gradual so I didn't use any bracing, and just used pieces of rebar for posts. They make plastic insulators for rebar, and they're easier to pull up than T-posts when you don't need the fence any more. As you said, the wire isn't real tight; just tight enough to take out most of the sag.

wbvs58":qza81tqm said:
I will often use 2 T posts as you call them, one driven in straight the other at 45 degrees and wired to the first as a brace for temp electric fencing. They will handle a surprising load on them.

Ken
i think your talking about step in posts.. i do the same thing with mine.

i move my cattle all the time i just use polywire on reels and don't even juice the wire.. they know what to do.

I use a heavy tpost for the brace on temp electric. A 7 or 8 footer drove 3_4 foot deep and slightly off plumb away from the pull.
The fiberglass step-in post. Lightweight low tensile wire is handy and light, but I still prefer high tensile because the deer won't break it.
They make knock it down but it's a much easier fix.

One thing that hasn;t been addressed is that the cows have to be trained to hotwire. Neighbor wanted to bring a bunch of cows over here that had never seen hotwire. I had him set up an area around the water point with polywire with a 10 foot wide opening. The first couple of days they knocked it down several times. Took about 3 days and they didn;t do it anymore. He left it up for 2 weeks then pulled it down so I could get my stuff back that I needed here. It was about a month from the last time they saw hotwire till he dropped them off here. Had to make an alleyway from where the trailer dropped them off to the pasture they were going to. They would step off the trailer, look at the hotwire then just mosey along it into the pasture. They've been here a week now and have had no issues with the fence at all.

wbvs58":23opskxd said:

Ken
I used this method, works great, I put HIGH TENSILE strength on it. It has held up to deer, hogs and cattle. The wire on the back T post I attached to the end of the post that goes in the ground so it's an anchor for the corner T post. On the spacing between T post for the electric wire I spaced them about 30-60 foot depending on if it was on a hill or in rough terrain. I used trees when possible. I have over 12,000 volts running in the wire. With my cattle trained, I fenced in my back 30 acres with a 2 wire fence for $500, including the charger. If you don't count the brush clearing I laid the fence by myself in one full day. I could pull that fence out in an afternoon. When I took over this place had I realized how easy and effective electric fence was I would have done the whole place in it.

my horses respect the electric fence so much that I often build temporary fence for them with baler twine.....
just this weekend I let them into a section of my old garden plot so they could clean it up.....cut it off with baler twine and they have been there for three days now.....probably close it tonight or tomorrow night when they clean it up....

ddd75":2738vaqt said:
wbvs58":2738vaqt said:

Ken
i think your talking about step in posts.. i do the same thing with mine.

i move my cattle all the time i just use polywire on reels and don't even juice the wire.. they know what to do.

I think he's meaning steel T-posts. I really like the idea. I'm going to use this.

Dun has a good idea.If you are going over 200yds. from the charger,use the 9wire like Gallegher Turbo wire.The lighter wire will not carry amperage well beyond this point.It may shock but not very much.