electric fence planning

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":20fwpgui said:
SRBeef":20fwpgui said:
I still think 14 gage steel is a better choice than aluminum for any stationary (not moved frequently) fence. You can stretch it tighter without breaking, doesn't sag, doesn't change so much with temperature... etc.

The main reason to use aluminum rather than steel is just weight and flexibility for fences that are moved often. I have used both and that was my conclusion in my application. Good luck. Jim

Any reason to use aluminum rather than poly wire or poly braid for temporary fence?

I like the aluminum over poly for temp/moveable divider fences for two reasons: Aluminum does not stretch as much as poly, I can pull it tighter and it stays tight. Also the poly I've used in the past had slivers coming out which would get in my hand if I ran my hand along it which was common when moving wires where aluminum is very smooth. I think this has been discussed before. Maybe it is just the brand I was using. In any case I have a couple Gallagher reels set up with aluminum and they work well.

May be like discussing Chevy vs Ford. Try one and see how you like it. jmho Jim

[What part of La are you located?[/quote]

I'm in the upper side of central LA. About 45 min north of Alexandria.

We live mostly in the hills in this area. It gets flat closer to the rivers, but where I'm at it's mostly hilly and red clay. Pine trees seem to dominate the landscape. I read all these posts on here and realize how blessed I am to just have short, mild winters. If it gets below 30 degrees we are all bent out of shape. I just saw geese flying south the end of Nov. You can tell it with the cows, I would believe it costs alot less to raise it all down here than up north. We usually have enough rain off the gulf, it just makes a good combination.

I think once you get going on the high tensile 12.5 gauge wire then you will learn it is just easier to use it for cross fences also. Aluminum wire is very weak and breaks often any time something hits it. If you are moving interior fences consider getting good poly wire and reels. Zareba fence charges tend to be junk as with any insulators and accessories TSC sells, the high tensile wire there is brand name and good. I really doubt your 6 joule fencer will power the 300 acres of multi strand fence. The issue is that under perfect conditions the fencer will work fine, but fencing that much acreage as you mentioned is in some rough and brushy/swampy areas, you will ultimately have all sorts of challenges to your fence. A high power energizer can power adaquatley even with a pretty good load on the fence, even dead shorts. I use Gallaghers, Stafix and Taylor Fence - Clyclops chargers. For any acreages I like to be at least 15 joules. I have one 30 joule Cyclops. I like the clyclops because of the replaceable external and internal fuses and they are American made. The Gallaghers and Stafix fry the whole board and you have to send it back. As far as post spacing, you are right on, go as far apart as you can. A lot of times I stretch the fence and then put post in where needed. Post and energizer are the major costs, wire is cheap. The TSC Beachart wire is 200,000 PSI.

danbrady":2j0m3197 said:
Hey folks. This is Dan here in central LA. I am planning on putting up an electric fence. I will take any input, my fence is gonna cover ultimately 300 acres of some creeks zigzagging and just plain aggravating to muddle around places. What I am wondering is do I come out better with a more permanent hot wire, or use the thinner wire and get by til later? I plan on the cheap wire around the creeks, and along the perimeter using the stronger, permanent wire. I like the aluminum because of no rust worries, but will it stretch too much? Input on the best power supply is good too, I plan on using a 100 mile charger from an AC source. Anyway, thankyou for your time and I will be checking back with you all. Thanks cowpokes. :)

Why are you going to fence the whole 300 acres? Why not make some paddocks with the usable acreage and blow off the zig zags for now?

Hey King, good question. I plan to get my fence as deep in the trees that border the creek as possible. Reason is I think it's important supply shade for the cattle. Not to mention it keeps it all from growing up. Checking the wires on the weekend aren't the biggest deal. I will break it off into smaller paddocks as I get this done, I may even move fences some. It has some crossfences in place already. I never had much trouble with this place until the weather got dry this fall and the creeks got low. Some of the cows went on a walkabout, eating deer corn and checking out the neighborhood, pretty scary. Never a dull moment.