electric fence Light

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
There was a thread some time ago about electric fence lights and someone mentioned using a florescent bulb. My son got some pigs so I fenced off an area and had a 4' bulb in the shop. I stood it up on the top strand next to a post and took a short piece of rubber hose and put it around the post and around the bulb and used a zip tie between the 2 to hold it in place. as of last night it is still flashing 5 weeks later you can see it in the daylight if you walk up to it but at night it is easy to see. it will also be a little dimmer if it does not have full power. I just thought I would pass the info along for the other cheap folks on here.

bbirder":6af3pt8w said:
Do you have both pins touching the electric fence? Please explain further.

I just set it on the top strand with the wire between the pins and rotated it till it didn't turn any more. It flashed brighter with me holding it but I didn't know how to replicate that specific ground. when I was trying to figure out how to make it work I just set it on the wire with out any specific pin contact and it flashed just fine.

m5 I had read this on another forum and saved it and was planning to try it. Same as you did.

Put one end of a fluorescent tube light bulb on the ground and the other end against the wire. The wire should be between the contact points and the bulb turned so they each touch the wire. You can leave it until the bulb burns out. It will flash when the fence pulses. Fairly inexpensive. Measure the height of the top wire to give you an idea of what length of bulb to purchase.

M5farm":1qaac7n8 said:
There was a thread some time ago about electric fence lights and someone mentioned using a florescent bulb. My son got some pigs so I fenced off an area and had a 4' bulb in the shop. I stood it up on the top strand next to a post and took a short piece of rubber hose and put it around the post and around the bulb and used a zip tie between the 2 to hold it in place. as of last night it is still flashing 5 weeks later you can see it in the daylight if you walk up to it but at night it is easy to see. it will also be a little dimmer if it does not have full power. I just thought I would pass the info along for the other cheap folks on here.
Great idea, i'll have to try this. Love getting good ideas... :nod:

skyhightree1":mzoobaxz said:
m5 I had read this on another forum and saved it and was planning to try it. Same as you did.

Put one end of a fluorescent tube light bulb on the ground and the other end against the wire. The wire should be between the contact points and the bulb turned so they each touch the wire. You can leave it until the bulb burns out. It will flash when the fence pulses. Fairly inexpensive. Measure the height of the top wire to give you an idea of what length of bulb to purchase.

Mine has no ground. mine is a single stand about 6" off the ground I couldn't use the method you described. mine is setting on top of the wire and is held in suspension by the rubber hose so there is no ground involved. I suppose I could have connected a wire to the pegs and a ground wire .

M5farm":2r2ufola said:
skyhightree1":2r2ufola said:

Mine has no ground. mine is a single stand about 6" off the ground I couldn't use the method you described. mine is setting on top of the wire and is held in suspension by the rubber hose so there is no ground involved. I suppose I could have connected a wire to the pegs and a ground wire .

oh ok do you think if you grounded it that it may be brighter?