Electric Fence Grounding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
I have for some time believed in good grounding for electric fence. In our region,we have a lot of big rocks in some places.My home and faem buildings are on one so driving a rod 8' in the ground is not going to work.Can I dig a 3'-4' trench 15' to 20' long and get the same results?Thanks.

I suppose that's the next best thing... We have an aluminum irrigation line that runs all over the property, and we use that as well as 3 ground rod 6' in the ground. We're super dry around here which is a big problem, perhaps you don't have that to deal with at least.

JW IN VA":1l1ct7fy said:
I have for some time believed in good grounding for electric fence. In our region,we have a lot of big rocks in some places.My home and faem buildings are on one so driving a rod 8' in the ground is not going to work.Can I dig a 3'-4' trench 15' to 20' long and get the same results?Thanks.

I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, but from what I understand grounding rods work best if they get deep enough to reach moisture. If that's the case, then I don't believe a trench will help.

It will work but you'll need more rods and they will still have to be spaced at least 10 feet apart.

I like to put them in along the edge of a dam or a drainage ditch. Putting them in a fence line near a water tank will work some times. The big thing is to get them into moist soil. Mel

There is a grounding question I've wondered about. Most of my permanent fences are barbed wire on steel posts. Would it work to ground to the fence (assuming the posts are deep enough to reach moisture)? I don't mean to hijack the discussion, but since it's related hopefully it will be okay.

Rafter S":1arxox2x said:
There is a grounding question I've wondered about. Most of my permanent fences are barbed wire on steel posts. Would it work to ground to the fence (assuming the posts are deep enough to reach moisture)? I don't mean to hijack the discussion, but since it's related hopefully it will be okay.
I do that a lot with my temp fencing. I connect the ground to the barbedwire fince itself. That way all of the posts can help to function as a ground. Biggest problem is under some conditions you can build an electrical field on the electric fence and get knocked on your but if you touch it or even pass your hand between the wires. Alos T-posts tend to rust and corrode so a single post or 2 may not be much of a ground.

dun":2d77x42t said:
Rafter S":2d77x42t said:
I do that a lot with my temp fencing. I connect the ground to the barbedwire fince itself. That way all of the posts can help to function as a ground. Biggest problem is under some conditions you can build an electrical field on the electric fence and get knocked on your but if you touch it or even pass your hand between the wires. Alos T-posts tend to rust and corrode so a single post or 2 may not be much of a ground.

Thanks Dun,

I'll try it next time.

Ground rods work best in undisturbed soil. Fill isn't great, so burying a post in a hole/trench isn't ideal.

However things like a culvert that have a lot of surface area, and have 'settled in' can work well. You also don't want posts in an area thats really wet. You want something damp, shaded, moist.. etc Like where a downspout runs out, or in a shady area - but not in a swamp. You don't want them at the top of a hill, if a lower spot is within reach.

A galvanized rod is best too - once a steel rod rusts it loses conductivity. I like to use the ones that are shaped like a U like you see on some road signs - 6 feet long and drive em as deep as they'll go. Like this

http://www.hardwarechimp.com/Images/pro ... n-Post.gif

Latest posts