Electric Fence Grounding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
I need to put up an electric fence around some hay. Can I ground it to the barbed wire fence, which is mostly steel posts, or will I need to drive a ground rod?

Two responses and two different answers. That cleared it up. If it helps, the fence will be temporary, there will be about 10 head against it 2 days per week, and they'll still be entirely within a barbed wire fence, so if the electric fence fails they won't be able to get out.

Rafter S":2w7k09ma said:
Two responses and two different answers. That cleared it up. If it helps, the fence will be temporary, there will be about 10 head against it 2 days per week, and they'll still be entirely within a barbed wire fence, so if the electric fence fails they won't be able to get out.

it will ground fine as long as you have normal ground moisture , if it get real dry it will not be as effective

What M-5 said....depends on ground moisture...

but then I would not put in a ground rod six feet deep for a fence to be up for just a few weeks...

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always drive in a ground rod. The big drawback to that is getting it back out when I don't need the fence any more.

Rafter S":ijddrqar said:
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always drive in a ground rod. The big drawback to that is getting it back out when I don't need the fence any more.
Thus the reason to use existing fence if possible.

It'll work until you backfeed a lightning strike into the ground side of the charger. Low impedance chargers take a more advanced grounding setup than chargers of yesteryear to operate at peak efficiency. Yes, you should be just fine unless it doesn't work. lol

Farm Fence Solutions":qmnralvz said:
It'll work until you backfeed a lightning strike into the ground side of the charger. Low impedance chargers take a more advanced grounding setup than chargers of yesteryear to operate at peak efficiency. Yes, you should be just fine unless it doesn't work. lol
I've only done it with the 12 volt chargers. Even during the really sry spell we had for 2 months the polywire still read 7.8 k volts.

Latest posts